• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maninthebox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

f your lease ends, and landlord moves you to another place (but you never move), and you didn't approve the change in lease (or even seen it), what recourse does someone have? My best friend moved instead of me (because I decided to move in with GF and help her), and the landlord wants me to pay the rent, too, at the new place....

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

f your lease ends, and landlord moves you to another place (but you never move), and you didn't approve the change in lease (or even seen it), what recourse does someone have? My best friend moved instead of me (because I decided to move in with GF and help her), and the landlord wants me to pay the rent, too, at the new place....
**A: confusing post.

maninthebox

**A: confusing post.
Sorry.

What I'm asking is this: Can a landlord hold someone liable for lease agreement changes that tenant didn't approve of? (in this case, switching addresses where lease applies to after the old lease was done, knowing that I moved into my GF's house, and that my best friend moved into the house instead of me)

So, its:

1) First lease expires (100% fulfilled, paid in full)
2) He decides to rent that place out, but move 'us' (which I didn't agree to) into the new place
3) Instead of issuing new lease, he changes address on old lease and updates rental amount to reflect new property
4) I never moved into second place - just lived at first one.

HomeGuru

Sorry.

What I'm asking is this: Can a landlord hold someone liable for lease agreement changes that tenant didn't approve of? (in this case, switching addresses where lease applies to after the old lease was done, knowing that I moved into my GF's house, and that my best friend moved into the house instead of me)

So, its:

1) First lease expires (100% fulfilled, paid in full)
2) He decides to rent that place out, but move 'us' (which I didn't agree to) into the new place
3) Instead of issuing new lease, he changes address on old lease and updates rental amount to reflect new property
4) I never moved into second place - just lived at first one.
**A: did you sign the new lease or discuss the terms? Did you agree to move into the new place at first then later changed your mind? Did you sign any paperwork for the new place.

HomeGuru

That altered lease document for the new place is unenforceable. Did you get your security deposit back from the old lease?

maninthebox

That altered lease document for the new place is unenforceable. Did you get your security deposit back from the old lease?
I hope that's the case.

No, I let him have it because he claimed the electric bill was over my 'budgeted' amount (it was all utilities paid). No damage to place (in fact, I cleaned it to better condition than it was before I rented it.) Not concerned; it was only $100.

Dave1952

Some lease agreements have an automatic renewal clause that continues to renew the lease until you "officially" give notice and move. Did your old lease have such language?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some lease agreements have an automatic renewal clause that continues to renew the lease until you "officially" give notice and move. Did your old lease have such language?
The altering of the document would invalidate it for the new place in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">