• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car Agency Wants Cost for Lost of Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luv2liv

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California. I rented a car in Hawaii that was involved in an accident caused by the other driver. His insurance carrier agreed to assume responsibility for damage to the vehicle. The insurance company paid for the repairs to the car. However, the rental car agency wants to file a lawsuit against me for the lost of use and administrative costs. It also said that now that the car has been in an accident its value has decreased. I suggested that the agency sues the other driver and his insurance company but the agency contends that I was under contract and declined using their coverage. When I rented the car I was asked if I wanted their insurance or was I going to use mine. I said the latter. Am I liable?

Thanks

racer72

Your on the hook. The coverage they offered was a Loss Damage Waiver. It covers things that regular insurance won't cover. Contact your insurance company, they may cover the loss.

tac

Check with your credit card company. Most of them provide free collision damage waiver ins. if you pay for your rental with the card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">