• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car - Not authorized Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karenjones1234

What is the name of your state? Florida

My friend is 22 years old, wants me to rent a car for him to avoid the extra fees for persons under 25. I will not be in the car with him as he drives this car from FL to MA and back. He has car insurance.

If he is involved in an accident, ticketed or the rental agency finds out that he drove the car and was not an authorized driver, what are the potential repercusions I could face?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

karenjones1234 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My friend is 22 years old, wants me to rent a car for him to avoid the extra fees for persons under 25. I will not be in the car with him as he drives this car from FL to MA and back. He has car insurance.

If he is involved in an accident, ticketed or the rental agency finds out that he drove the car and was not an authorized driver, what are the potential repercusions I could face?

My response:

That he "has insurance" doesn't say anything. Find out, by calling and speaking to his agent, if his insurance covers rental vehicles. Also, find out what his liability coverage are - - and then INSIST that he TRIPLE them while he has "your" rental car. Get WRITTEN confirmation of his INCREASED coverage from the insurance company.

If he fails to do this for you, then tell him, "Go get a car from someplace else, and don't bother me."

You want to make sure, as MUCH as you can, that in the event of a stolen rental car, or an "at fault" accident, that you're as COVERED as much as you can be. Remember, if you sign for him, it's your neck on the chopping block.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">