• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FannieMay

Halket! Need your help!

I was supposed to move in with a guy I was dating. We both signed a lease agreement with the landlord. We have since broke up and I won't be moving in. He already lives there and has been since Oct 1st (we broke up after he took posession of the apartment), he will most likely stay until the lease is up in 2002. I realize now that I should not have been added to the lease until I actually moved in.
I would now like my named removed from the lease, but have not asked him to do this yet. When I do, if he gives me a hard time, how liable am I in the contract? And, how can I get my name removed from the lease? Do I have any legal say here?
PS. I have never actually lived there and nothing I own is there. Lease signed in New York. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

F

FannieMay

another question

Dear HomeGuru,

Thank you for replying. I have another question: Am I laible to pay a portion or even half of the rent eventhough I don't live there and taking into account that we broke up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">