• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental contract Airbnb

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilenceDG

I rented a property for a month using Airbnb. The cancellation policy was set as strict by the owner and no refund was possible. Within a few days of scheduling the rental issues came up requiring negotiations the owner. Via email the owner stated that if I wasn't happy I could cancel within 7 days of the occupancy date for a 50% refund. I decided to live with the issues and not cancel. Ten days before occupancy additional issues arose and further discussions ensued with the same result, that of the owner telling me that I could cancel within 7 days for a 50% refund. After weighing my options I decided to cancel through Airbnb and requested the 50% refund. The property owner then informed me that he didn't understand the Airbnb policy and that I was not due any refund under the Airbnb rules. So, here is my question...I cancelled only after being assured that my host would refund 50%. Since I relied on what he told me, in writing, do I have any legal standing to recoup my losses?
Thanks for your help!

Just Blue

I rented a property for a month using Airbnb. The cancellation policy was set as strict by the owner and no refund was possible. Within a few days of scheduling the rental issues came up requiring negotiations the owner. Via email the owner stated that if I wasn't happy I could cancel within 7 days of the occupancy date for a 50% refund. I decided to live with the issues and not cancel. Ten days before occupancy additional issues arose and further discussions ensued with the same result, that of the owner telling me that I could cancel within 7 days for a 50% refund. After weighing my options I decided to cancel through Airbnb and requested the 50% refund. The property owner then informed me that he didn't understand the Airbnb policy and that I was not due any refund under the Airbnb rules. So, here is my question...I cancelled only after being assured that my host would refund 50%. Since I relied on what he told me, in writing, do I have any legal standing to recoup my losses?
Thanks for your help!
U.S. Law Only.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, sorry, this is a US law issue.
You will need to follow the Airbnb policies for disputes. Alternatively, if allowed in the agreement, you could sue the bad guy. You will need to travel to his location to do so, and you won't be able to recover the travel expenses.

SilenceDG

Thanks Zigner,
I had planned to dispute through Airbnb but I wanted to know if I had any grounds due to my reliance on his changes to the refund policy, stated in his email. I wanted to go to Hawaii but not for a court date:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">