• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the rental contract considered valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AgentPsycho

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello everyone. My wife filled out an co-signed an application for her sister and husband to rent an apartment. But the owner of that apartment denied them the rental.

The husband then took that rental application and applied it to another rental property (different rental agency). He failed to notify my wife of this action. Furthermore, the rental agency did not contact my wife to verify whether she had agreed to cosign for this new place. Does this make the contract null? Is my wife still liable?

Her sister is now separating from the husband and has moved out of the apartment. What are the liabilities that my wife will have to incur? Do we have the right to nullify the rental contract since my wife never signed a contract with the agency? Can she as co-signer withdraw from the contract or request that the husband be evicted so she does not have to incur any more liabilities?

Thanks for your help.

HomeGuru

AgentPsycho said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Hello everyone. My wife filled out an co-signed an application for her sister and husband to rent an apartment. But the owner of that apartment denied them the rental.

The husband then took that rental application and applied it to another rental property (different rental agency). He failed to notify my wife of this action. Furthermore, the rental agency did not contact my wife to verify whether she had agreed to cosign for this new place. Does this make the contract null? Is my wife still liable?

**A: an application is not a rental contract. Did your wife sign a lease contract on this new property? If seems so judging from your statement below.

Her sister is now separating from the husband and has moved out of the apartment. What are the liabilities that my wife will have to incur? Do we have the right to nullify the rental contract since my wife never signed a contract with the agency? Can she as co-signer withdraw from the contract or request that the husband be evicted so she does not have to incur any more liabilities?

Thanks for your help.

**A: if our wife signed the rental agreement or lease, then she is on the hook.

A

AgentPsycho

HomeGuru,

Ok, I just spoke with my wife's sister. She said that the husband used my wife's information from the first "rental application" to get them to qualify for the second rental property. My wife never signed any contract with the rental agency. She only signed a rental application for the first rental property (which they decided not to rent).

Furthermore, the husband signed the rental "contract". My wife sister did not sign anything. So he may have forged her signature on the contract as well.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

AgentPsycho said:
HomeGuru,

Ok, I just spoke with my wife's sister. She said that the husband used my wife's information from the first "rental application" to get them to qualify for the second rental property. My wife never signed any contract with the rental agency. She only signed a rental application for the first rental property (which they decided not to rent).

Furthermore, the husband signed the rental "contract". My wife sister did not sign anything. So he may have forged her signature on the contract as well.

Thanks for your help.

**A: in that case, your wife has no liability to said rental contract.

A

AgentPsycho

Thanks again HomeGuru...btw, are you a practicing lawyer? And are most people on this site practicing lawyers offering advice?

HomeGuru

AgentPsycho said:
Thanks again HomeGuru...btw, are you a practicing lawyer? And are most people on this site practicing lawyers offering advice?

**A: I preach more than I practice. I do not know the history of most people on this website. Click on the user profile link for the users that you have a question on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">