• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental/Lease Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janene1242

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My cousin and I decided to rent a house that is still under construction. We went to sign the lease agreement and pay the deposit. Afterwards, we decided to go by the house and take another look at what we just paid a $610 deposit on. We did another walk-through and both decided the house was too small for us. It is supposed to be done in three weeks and there are still no appliances, paint on the walls, doors, or carpet laid. The very next day I called the people we were dealing with and told them our situation-apologizing profusely.

We found another place that we really want and need that deposit money back to get it. They said they would not give me back the money until someone else rented the property. The only thing in our contract that it says about contract termination is that payment may be needed for damages. Can they keep my money until it is rented? How can they consider that damages to a place that is not even completely built yet? They may not rent this place until August and I have to have that money back ASAP so that I can rent the new place. I live in a college town so it is not easy to find a good rental. HELP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">