• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting Contract (January 15th - May 15th)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rynodog92

Where are you from? Illinois

At the beginning of January 15th I had to pay my landlord for my months rent in college. I paid him $1700 for 4 months rent ($425 monthly). I moved in later on January 15th and have been living here and will probably move out around may 7th. He told me I need to pay for all the months January, February, March, April, AND MAY. Although I did the calculations and thought I only needed to pay four months (January 15th - February 15th 1 PMT, February 15th - March 15th 2 PMT, March 15th - April 15th 3 PMT, April 15th - May 15th 4 PMT). He is saying I have to pay another months rent all the way up to May because for January's rent and May's rent being separate. It is very unclear in the lease exactly what he means. I am not made of money, although last year I did pay that but did not want to and just didn't want to argue with it and/or deal with it. Am I in the wrong? What are the legal actions that could take place?

Last edited:

rynodog92

Also, he told me that I had another month's rent to pay around April 24th (2 weeks before I move out) , but I paid him all the amount in February ($1700).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where are you from? Illinois

At the beginning of January 15th I had to pay my landlord for my months rent in college. I paid him $1700 for 4 months rent ($425 monthly). I moved in later on January 15th and have been living here and will probably move out around may 7th. He told me I need to pay for all the months January, February, March, April, AND MAY. Although I did the calculations and thought I only needed to pay four months (January 15th - February 15th 1 PMT, February 15th - March 15th 2 PMT, March 15th - April 15th 3 PMT, April 15th - May 15th 4 PMT). He is saying I have to pay another months rent all the way up to May because for January's rent and May's rent being separate. It is very unclear in the lease exactly what he means. I am not made of money, although last year I did pay that but did not want to and just didn't want to argue with it and/or deal with it. Am I in the wrong? What are the legal actions that could take place?
Why did you pay? You had no obligation to pay. Request that your money be returned. If he refused, sue in small claims court.

rynodog92

Why did you pay? You had no obligation to pay. Request that your money be returned. If he refused, sue in small claims court.
I guess I paid because I really just didn't want to deal with the hassle of saying no. This semester I'm really not made of money, but I don't understand why he wants me to pay (January 1 PMT) (February 2 PMT) (March 3 PMT) (April 4 PMT) (May 5 PMT) as i'm only living there 120 days (May 15 - January 15). Am I right not to want to pay him for an extra month? I'm moving out on May 7th even.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Although it's most common, not every rental period starts at the beginning of the month. I would argue that your rental period begins on the 15th of the month. So, you paid from Jan 15 to Feb 15, Feb 15 to Mar 15, Mar 15 to Apr 15, and Apr 15 to May 15. You don't owe any more, and the LL seems to owe YOU that extra payment you made.

Dave1952

As Mr. Zigner points out the date at which rent is due and payable and the period which that payment covers are probably in your lease, so read it. Your move in date was Jan 15th but it's possible that you had rented for the entire month of January. If you had rented for the entire month of January then you will owe for May's rent if you wish to use the apartment in May.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">