• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair Shop Damaged Battery They are making eat the bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ptosis

Monty Auto Repair Shop AZ 85635

On Friday 9.28.2012 I checked the battery myself at 12.46V and it had no signs of battery acid over the battery or wire. The car has not been running since 9.28.2012.

Monday 10.1.2012 when shop said the battery needed to be replaced because it had “boiled over” and time needed to be taken to check the wires for 'shorts' because of battery acid all over the wires. Said to me that the only two explanations possible is that
#1 There is a short is the system and later he called that the harness is OK.
#2 reason is that somebody overfilled the battery.

I will talk to them first thing tomorrow and bring a guy with me to say the following:

Even if the battery was overfilled on Friday 9.28.2012 , the car hasn't been running since and would be impossible to boil over without the alternator charging it.

Since the car has not ran the only explanation is that the car battery drained during the towing and a 'hot charge' was left to long on the battery causing it to over boil at your shop. Instead of using a trickle charge, a hot charge was left to long on the battery causing it to over boil over the wires that were checked for damage at you repair shop.

Tuesday 10.2.2012 No call about swapping the used ECM that may or may not be functional it itself.

Wednesday 10.3.2012 7:3OAM - I plan to ask what is going on with my car at your repair shop and why you won't call me about what's going on with my car.

I do not want to pay for damage they have done but I really worried about what else they are going to do to me.

OHRoadwarrior

Most batteries now are maintenance free, you cannot add water/acid. Before the car was taken into the shop, would the engine turn over (but not start) when the starter was engaged (key turned)? Is this an older key style start or an electronic "key" start vehicle? How old is the battery?

justalayman

why was the car taken to "the shop" to start with?

Generally, spillage is not a reason to replace wiring. The insulation on the wires is capable of withstanding the acid for some period of time before it would cause any damage. If acid was rinsed away in the short time you are speaking of here, there would be no concern of damage.

Since your battery was partially discharged when it was taken to the shop, it suggests there is a problem. Whether it was drained by attempting to start the vehicle due to a "no start" situation or there is actually a problem with the battery itself is something that must be determined through testing. Since it is partially discharged, before testing the battery, it must be attempted to be charged first. If a battery is bad, it might "boil over" when it is charged, depending on just what is wrong with the battery.

anyway, a battery does not necessarily have to be replaced because it boiled over, if it was due to being charged too fast IF the battery is constructed so as to be able to replace fluid (either water or dilute acid) as needed or it hasn't lost so much fluid it would expose the plates within. As OHRoadwarrior states, most batteries used today are sealed and it is not possible to add fluid without damaging the battery to some extent. As such, if the battery has actually lost too much fluid, it would need to be replaced. Along that same vein, if fluid cannot be added, they also could not have overfilled the battery either.

Since the car has not ran the only explanation is that the car battery drained during the towing
why would the battery be drained during the tow? That in itself would indicate a problem either with the battery or something else in the electrical system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">