• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair shop doubled the price!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

On April 15 I took my Harley motorcycle into the shop to have the primary belt replaced. The shop mechanic, Mike and the office guy Gary, said it would cost $450 and it would be done in 3 days. On day 2 Mike calls and says the gaskets in the tranny need to be replaced, I asked how much, and he said, total would be $510, I gave him the go ahead. On day 3 Mike calls and says that the swing arm is froze up and needs to be taken to a mechanist to be drilled out, again I asked about the price and he said he wasn't sure. I told him to wait and not do anything further. My spouse and I went down to the shop to take a look. The swing arm was froze. Mike talked to Gary and they both decided it would be "no more then $850" to have it all done. I told them that I only have $510 and that I'd better take the bike somewhere else. Mike told me that he will do the work and I will have to pay the full amount for the parts but could make payment arrangements for the labor portion, but the entire bill would not exceed $850. Gary, my spouse and I all discussed the terms and I agreed to pay $510 and make payments on the labor portion, as long as the total bill did not exceed $850.

From that day Mike has told me 3 times that he had other bikes to take care of and that mine would be done "next week". Today (May 12) I spoke with Steve (the shop owner) and he told me that all that was left to do was to replace the fluids and that I could pick it up tomorrow. When I ask about making payment arrangements for the labor portion Steve tells me that I have to pay the entire bill in full before I can have my bike back, but that he doesn't know the amount and will have to go look up the bill. I explain to him what Mike had arranged with me and he says that Mike had no place making such arrangements. He said he would call me back with the total amount and after talking with Mike.

Mike calls me back and tells me the total is $1,682. I reminded him of our earlier conversation about it not exceeding $850 and that I could make payments arrangements for the labor as long as I paid for the parts, $510 now. He agreed that was what he had said and agreed to but that the actual parts costs $1,000. I asked him what parts and he said that he had to replace "more parts then he thought he would", even though I did not authorize any additional parts, this is the first I've heard of any "additional" parts.

Now what? Steve says he wont give my bike back until I pay the full bill, and Mike agrees that he told me it would be $850 and that I would pay for the parts and make payments on the labor portion. Steve said that Mike had no right to make such arrangements, but what about the fact that Mike did make that arrangement with me.

Does anyone know of any laws partaining to this type of fraud?

I

itsacatsworld

All of the issues are on your side as long as the owner doesnt make up a story. In the repair business because of its nature and the volume of business verbal agreements are legal otherwise repair work would grind to a halt. Mike is the owners representative or acted as such. Small claims or maybe a letter from your attorney might be your only recourse if you cant settle with the owner on your own. Next time your swing arm freezes up just lubricate it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">