• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the repair shop libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dube1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona- I recently took my car to a Major Company to have two new tires installed. After the work was completed, I paid for the repairs and walked out to get in my car. I glanced down at the rear tires as I was about to open my door, and saw a huge puddle of brake fluid under my rear wheel.
I immediately told the Tech about the fluid, and they found more inside the shop, around the lift area. Had I not looked down and saw the puddle, I would have driven into traffic on a busy Phoenix street with absolutely no brakes. I filed a claim with their insurance company for the cost of fixing the lines, but the jist of the conversation was your on your own regarding the repair.
Now, Arizona law says the shop is supposed to perform a safety inspection, and inform you if your car is unsafe. So, either they did not do one at all, or they did, and were hoping I would get the car off their property before I noticed the leak.
Maybe I sould have driven out of the lot and killed someone? At the very least, an apology and an offer to have the lines fixed would be in order.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona- I recently took my car to a Major Company to have two new tires installed. After the work was completed, I paid for the repairs and walked out to get in my car. I glanced down at the rear tires as I was about to open my door, and saw a huge puddle of brake fluid under my rear wheel.
I immediately told the Tech about the fluid, and they found more inside the shop, around the lift area. Had I not looked down and saw the puddle, I would have driven into traffic on a busy Phoenix street with absolutely no brakes. I filed a claim with their insurance company for the cost of fixing the lines, but the jist of the conversation was your on your own regarding the repair.
Now, Arizona law says the shop is supposed to perform a safety inspection, and inform you if your car is unsafe. So, either they did not do one at all, or they did, and were hoping I would get the car off their property before I noticed the leak.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What caused the leak?

justalayman

and can you cite the law that requires a guy changing tires is required to do a safety inspection on the vehicle?

Maybe I sould have driven out of the lot and killed someone?
then you would have been at fault because you knew there was a problem and you ignored it. As it is, there are no damages other than the brake line itself and you do not get awards for "what if's".

At the very least, an apology and an offer to have the lines fixed would be in order.
If they caused the damage, then they are liable for the costs to repair. If they did not cause the damage, they would have no liability for the costs.

Zigner

The shop placed the lift's arms too far under the frame, crushing the brake lines.
Then yes, they are liable and are on the hook to repair the damage.

The whole "safety inspection" thing has no bearing on their liability, so I'm not even going to address it further.

Zigner

You may need to sue the shop in small claims court if they're not willing to take responsibility.

dube1969

and can you cite the law that requires a guy changing tires is required to do a safety inspection on the vehicle?

I am attending Motorcycle Mechanic's Institute and have had that little tidbit drilled through my head at least 3 dozen times. The other guy just aswered my question anyhow. I did not ask for warm and fuzzy answers, nor did I ask
for smartass comments from someone that obviously knows less about it than I do.

justalayman

I filed a claim with their insurance company for the cost of fixing the lines, but the jist of the conversation was your on your own regarding the repair
so, there should be no problem.

Now, does the place that damaged the car also do this kind of work? If not, then yes, it is your responsibility to have the work done and present them with a bill. Yes, that means you generally have to pay for it first and then make a claim against them.

If they do that kind of work, the only thing I can think of as to why they did not offer to do the work is due to some liability that comes with doing the work. They fact they already damaged your car means you might be a it upset with them so rather than dealing with you anymore, they send you on your way and simply plan on paying the bill.

Zigner

I am attending Motorcycle Mechanic's Institute and have had that little tidbit drilled through my head at least 3 dozen times. The other guy just aswered my question anyhow. I did not ask for warm and fuzzy answers, nor did I ask
for smartass comments from someone that obviously knows less about it than I do.
Man, you were doing so well before you turned in to a jerk.

You were asked to cite the law...not just give anecdotal accounts of how some flunky teacher drilled you.

justalayman

the fuzzy thing is a sig line. it is because so many people want their hand held even if it isn't a legal issue, kind of like you right here

and I don't care what the biker bar you go to has done to your head, unless you have support for your claim, it doesn;t mean much of anything. Do you always believe everything everybody tells you?

dube1969

Alright, so let's see... You've managed to call me names, my instructors names and stereotype me, and I'm the jerk...LOL! If I could recite the law verbatum, I wouldn't need to visit this website. All I want is for them to do what is right, not to sue them for money they don't owe. The simple fact is, I drove my car there with no problems, they broke my brakelines, and I have had no car for two weeks. If the lines had broken somewhere/ sometime else, I would have no problem with them. But it happened because of something they did, and they should fix it.

By the way.. I don't go to biker bars, I work for a living, I'm forty years old, and you are not better than me. Maybe more educated or wealthy, but not better. My Instructors have 15 years experience in the field, and have had personal experience with instances just like this. So yes, I tend to believe them when they warn me about covering your butt.

Zigner

Ok, so you have no clue about the "law", and are just passing on anecdotal information.

No matter - you have received your (correct) answer(s)

justalayman

My Instructors have 15 years experience in the field, and have had personal experience with instances just like this. So yes, I tend to believe them when they warn me about covering your butt.
I know a lot of people with 15 years of experience in their field and yet they know nothing about the law. I also know a lot of people that pass on information they believe is correct because somebody they knew with 15 years of experience in a somewhat related field told them and they learned from some person with 15 years of experience in their field and passed on information they believed to be correct.

The problem was; the first guy telling the info was wrong and due to that, everybody after that in the chain was passing along incorrect information. It wasn't intentional but just the same, they did.

So, to rectify that situation, somewhere along the line somebody should ask: are your sure? do you have something to back that up?

the reason I asked is because if there is such a law, it might also prescribe remedies for a failure to act as required to act. I was willing to do some research but having somewhere to start sure makes it faster and easier and since this is all free, faster and easier sure looks good.

anyway, go get your brakes fixed and give the tire guy the receipt for what you paid.

and if somebody is taking 2 weeks to fix your brakes, I would be taking my car elsewhere.

But it happened because of something they did, and they should fix it.
I never said anything to the contrary.

BL

How did you get the auto to where it is now ?

If you paid a tow bill ,include that also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">