• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repaying for Repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

honeybrown

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My father is a Chrysler employee on disability who leased my car in his name, I am the co-signer on the vehicle. The car was re-possessed in December of 2002. The lease expired in February 2003. I have been contacted by a collection agency stating I owe $13k for this car that was sold at the auction for $7000. What legal obligations do I have to pay this amount ? Is there anyway to avoid paying this charge?:confused: :confused:

JETX

"What legal obligations do I have to pay this amount ?"
*** You accepted the legal obligation for the account when you singed as co-signer. Simply, you became the 'guarantor' on the loan.... and responsible for it in the event of breach by the primary.

"Is there anyway to avoid paying this charge?"
*** No. The only thing you can do is to confirm the amount is correct..... then make arrangements to pay it. Once you have paid, you can then sue the primary (your father) for the costs you incurred on his behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">