• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Replacing bathrubs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My husband and I are replacing cracked tubs in our home. We had a salesperson visit our home, we picked out what we wanted and placed the order. The company sent a person out to measure, my husband showed him a pipe that had a small leak and the guy they sent out agreed to have the crew look at it. Oh, when we picked the items out, we also put 40% down.

Fast forward three months. Our items are finally in. The people who are supposed to be installing them are unable to schedule the installation for a month because they don't have anyone available. I asked to confirm that they were going to fix the leaky pipe, the man said, well we will look at it but there is no guarantee that we will fix it. I told him that my husband was understanding that they were going to fix it and that if they weren't going to fix it, he may just tell him to take his stuff and leave. The man told me that that would not be happening and hung up on me.

I realize there is nothing I can do about his rude behavior other than complain to his boss. But am I under any obligation for them to install a new tub over a leaky pipe if they cannot fix it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I realize there is nothing I can do about his rude behavior other than complain to his boss. But am I under any obligation for them to install a new tub over a leaky pipe if they cannot fix it?
Get somebody else out there to fix it prior to having the tub installed - problem solved!

ETA: The tub company never said they were going to fix the pipe.

Get somebody else out there to fix it prior to having the tub installed - problem solved!

ETA: The tub company never said they were going to fix the pipe.
I would if it was more accessible. The hose that has to be replaced runs under the tub, to do it right, it has to be done with the tub out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would if it was more accessible. The hose that has to be replaced runs under the tub, to do it right, it has to be done with the tub out.
Then ask the company to send someone over ahead of time to remove the tub and evaluate the leak. If they can't fix it, call someone in who can. After the leak is fixed, the tub company can come back to complete the installation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">