• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossessing Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hugabear

What is the name of your state?Illinois

:confused: I’m not sure where to direct this question.

In November 2004, a friend of mine put a bedroom set on her credit because mine wasn’t good enough. However, in January 2005, while I was 4 months pregnant, she tried to convince me that my husband was going to steal my baby daughter when she was born and change their names – which I found out later from mutual friends that she was jealous of him because I had to split up my time between her and my husband. I’m 33, she’s 51 and her husband of eight years died 20 years ago. Since then, she doesn’t have any close friends – she told me once that people changed after they married and would leave her alone. I married before I met her but we spent a lot time together because I had to wait a couple of years for my husband to arrive from Morocco because of immigration laws. I did always tell her that we would still be friends after he arrived and I tried to make time for both of them, but it didn’t work.

I broke off the relationship because I didn’t need the stress, but I did continue to pay her monthly payments for the furniture. I gave her 4 months worth of post-dated checks. After the checks were cashed, I still had 3 weeks before the next payment was due and she and the finance company both hounded me stating that they would only accept a year of post-dated checks from me – not month-to-month payments. So, I told her that if she couldn’t be reasonable, I didn’t want the furniture. However, my husband insists that she give me the $700 I already paid on it before she can pick up the bedroom set.

I tried to get a copy of the contract but they said that it wasn’t possible because it was my friend’s personal business. I also tried to get the financing put in my name – my credit is much better now – but they refused, giving me all kinds of excuses. So, I really had no choice but to put up with the harassment or have her take it back.

My question is 1.) Are we right to ask for this money back ? and 2.) Can she sue me for the remaining $3,000 ? I never signed a contract with anyone – she’s the sole owner of the loan.

Thanks, HugABear

Also, another friend has advised me to write a notarized letter stating that if anything should happen to me, my husband, my baby or my car that the police should question her because we believe her to have a motive, such as revenge. (We are neighbors in the same apartment building) Does anyone know of such a letter and what to say ?

A hug a day keeps the Prozac away . . .
. . . Have YOU hugged your Teddy Bear today ? :p

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">