• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossession of a vehicle that is charged off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ymtuff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in California. Can the auto company repossess my vehicle after they charged it off as a bad debt?

racer72

Do you think they are just going to give you the car? Yes, it can be repossessed. You will also be liable for the deficiency after it's sold too.

skinsfan6589

wow....are you kidding, of course they can reposess the car even after thay charge it off...You did not pay for the car and from the way it sounds you hid the car from the repo man for a long time until it was written off, then expected them to just give you the car. What world do you live in.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in California. Can the auto company repossess my vehicle after they charged it off as a bad debt?
A "charge off" is merely an accounting method used to move the numbers around. You still owe the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">