• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Res Judicata and another bite from the apple

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shizukana

What is the name of your state? Kentucky (a comparative law state so I'm told)

I used the services of an attorney to help me collect from a homeseller for failure to disclose certain defects of the home.

In meeting with the attorney, I noted that I was pretty sure that the homesellers had knowledge of defects. I had heard (rumors, hearsay) that the home inspector and the realtors had some liability; but I didn't know how to prove it. The attorney suggested that discovery would be too expensive. We focused on a negotiated settlement with the homesellers, which happened after we filed suit in the local circuit court system. The suit was dismissed for out of court settlement.

I was presented with a Release that released everyone and his brother. I refused to sign it because I had negotiated ONLY with the homeseller. I clearly stated to the attorney that I would not release any other parties at that time, because I wanted the option of pursuing claims against them if I were to find this to be plausible.

The attorney did not advise me that I wouldn't be able to do this. But, now that I have plausible evidence that the home inspector and the realtors also had knowledge of defects that they did not disclose, I have been advised that I have no recourse against them because I already negotiated a settlement with the homesellers. Plus, the release states the homeseller's agents are released (i.e., the listing agent / broker).

So, now do I go after the attorney? Or what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">