• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rescission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lobst3r

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Hello all. Long time lurker.

The story in a nutshell...
Mid-November - Entered into verbal contract with local vendor to procure and install a wood stove. Price for stove + options is roughly $1500, plus I expect to be billed for flue pieces + installation. Told 'our distributor stocks that model, so we should have it in a day or two'. Vendor charges about 50% more than I could get it for on the net, but I consider that a 'value added' expense, as I do not wish to deal with installation.

Early December - No word from vendor. Called... told 'Stove is here in our back room'. They deliver the bare stove a few days later. A few days after that they visit to take measurements for installation... details for flue install and such.

Mid December - Called for install status. Drone takes messages... owner does not call back. 3 unreturned calls. Informed drone that the install will be complete before Christmas or the deal is terminated.

Just before Christmas - I visit vendor in person. They are (of course) nice, but have done nothing to get any further parts. Since I have personally developed a list of necessary flue parts, I pass them the required parts list + the parts numbers for the remaining stove options I need (something I paid them to configure as part of the value-added stove price, IMO). They promise to have them late tomorrow, and will give them to me to install myself. (grrrr)

Next day - My wife picks up the parts. The say 'everything is there'. They ask for a down payment of $1500, which my wife gives them (on the credit card). She arrives home... only about 75% of the required parts are there. I call... drone says they will get right back to me... no call back.

Next day (Christmas Eve!) - Leave messages on owners business and home phone informing them that the contract is cancelled, to reverse the credit card charge and pick up their products.

Now... two weeks later, they have done neither. And of course, they are not returning my calls.

Thoughts?
They have $1500 of my cash (via credit card).
I have about $2000 of their product.

Reverse the charge?
Keep the product and pay another to finish the install?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">