• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

residents assosciation question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rana

California. Ok my question for anyone out there (I hope this is the right place for this...if not please re-direct me) I live in a townhome in Anaheim Hills California.

We have a residents association where next week they will be paying a company to re-pave the roads in our neighborhood. In an a ttmpt to slow down traffic (where the speed limit is already posted 20MPH) the board members voted to have speed bumps put in when the pavement is laid.

No one had been told about this idea until it was already decided. I went around to the neighbors and had a petition signed where out of 72 homes 45 households signed my petition. That is roughly 63% of the neighbors not wanting the speed bumps. We fear that the look of speed bumps in our area will cause the property value to go down and it will look fairly bad as well. So when we presented this petition to the board members 2 of the five agre with us that since more than 51% of the households are AGAINST the ruling of the board to have speed bumps and since the scheduled pavement is not until next week it can still be stopped.

HOWEVER, 3 of the 5 board members are upset that we went behiond their backs and had the petition signed and without consulting the two board memebrs who agree with the residents they decided to go ahead with the speed bumps. My question is if there is any legal recourse in which we can legally stop them from being dictators when over half of the residents showed in writing that this should not be done? The president of the board is basically disagreeing with the petition and acting as if it doesn't matter one way or the other and that he has the ultimate last word. We think this is unfair and need quick advise to know what to do and what type of recourse we have as the majority not wanting speed bumps in our neighborhood. Does the petition matter at all?

Do they have to listen to the voice of the people or is their word the ultimate, even though two of the five are against the speed bumps, not to mention 63% of the people who signed the petiton? Sorry this is so scattered I am just confused on what to do and how to explain this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">