• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsible for deceased spouses car payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meemaw001

What is the name of your state? Arkansas My husband passed away and he had a car in his name, (i did not sign any contract) i do not drive or cannot afford to pay for it. Will my credit be affected if it is repossesed

Last edited:

Z

zappy

no that is his debts, smart move not signing,or getting insurance on it jointly

racer72

Have you checked with the creditor to see if life insurance was included with the purchase agreement? When my uncle died, my aunt got to keep his car and the loan balance was paid off through a life insurance policy that was attached to the loan. If this insurance was not included in the loan, his estate (probably you) are now responsible for his debts. Allowing the car to be repossessed could then cause a negative mark on your credit report.

M

meemaw001

thanks racer72 i will check about the insurance but my late husband never mentioned it. i hope zappy is right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">