• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restocking Fees (a bit of a twist)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illest

State: Washington

I purchased a laptop from Best Buy. Their policy is they will charge a 15% restocking fee UNLESS it is defective.

The BIG problem I am having is that the laptop is only INTERMITENTLY defective. It will go days at a time working fine but then have various problems.

My wife brought it back for a refund but they would not waive the restocking fee because they could not verify it was defective.

I don't know what I can do because they are not seeming to budge and I am SURE it is defective but may not be able to prove that to them in the next 5 days I have left on the return period.

What can I do? Does the laptop have to be PROVEN defective or does the merchant have to take the consumers account of what is happening?

justalayman

What can I do? Does the laptop have to be PROVEN defective or does the merchant have to take the consumers account of what is happening?
If you can't show it to be defective, as far as they are concerned, it isn't and can treat it as such.

I would suggest contacting somebody from Best Buy corporate office rather than arguing with the local folks.

In the meantime, I would suggest using the computer trying to find out what triggers the defect to show itself, if at all possible, so you can demonstrate the defect to them. If you cannot prove the defect, you are probably going to have to accept the 15% charge. Even a court would require proof of some sort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">