• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retail installment nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annataz04

What is the name of your state?Il. hoping to find out if there is any statute in Il. re: canceling a retail installment contract as far as time limit ie: 10 days ,30 days,. I have a contract with an out of state credit corp(TFC, Ca.)
for services from Gatlin Education (TX.) and Waubonsie College(il) . This is quite complicated as to why by the only signed contract is with the credit company and it does not have any cancelation policy written into the contract.

shortbus

You only have a contract with the credit company because they pay the vendor in full for your purchase. Then you have a loan with the credit company to pay back. There's not likely to be a cancellation policy since the credit company has already spent the money on your behalf.

You may be able to get a refund from the vendors directly, and use it to pay back the credit company, but this only works if they allow accelerated repayment.

annataz04

Shortbus Thanks ...... BUT

The loan i spoke of was for an internet course thru a college in Illinois that was basically being sub'd out by Gatlin Ed. in tx.. I wanted to withdraw after three weeks (the college even sent me a registration refund) and TFC credit said they would cancel the contract because at the time i requested the cancelation they had not paid gatlin(or Waubonsie) a dime. When gatlin was contacted they refused to drop me from the course because i already accessed the disk and recieved the books. I have since returned the books which they accepted then promptly returned to me but i refused the delivery. I told them i would gladly pay for the books but they say they will have none of it and i must pay.
I never signed any thing with gatlin and the reason for withdrawel was due to non-exsistence of things that seemed to make the course worth while per thier web site . I will take this to court if needed but i hate to see it on my credit report for refusal to pay or default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">