• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retailer not adhering to its Return Policy and behaved improperly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak42135610

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My wife and I tried to return an item at a Retail store located in Michigan within the stipulated time period but Retailer could not find it on the bill. However they returned the other add-on item which came at a discount with original item.
After too many of arguments, the LP went to look for the security tape from the day of billing to check what items did we pick/buy(there were only 3 items on the bill in all). Either they could not find the tape or the tape didn't show the transaction taking place or they just didn't want to bow down, not sure. From my point of view clearly the clerk had billed an incorrect item which we didnt buy/have. I do not have any evidence of buying the item at all in this case because its not on the bill !! Store employees' behavior was extremely inappropriate as well when we tried to return, made us stand for an hour and extremely rude. I filed a complaint through AG and received a Gift Card of $ 50.00 which cannot at all compensate for the horrible experience we had. $ 30 is the price of item itself.

Any advice for what can i do next to pursue this further ? Is this a case I should talk to attorney about ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My wife and I tried to return an item at a Retail store located in Michigan within the stipulated time period but Retailer could not find it on the bill. However they returned the other add-on item which came at a discount with original item.
After too many of arguments, the LP went to look for the security tape from the day of billing to check what items did we pick/buy(there were only 3 items on the bill in all). Either they could not find the tape or the tape didn't show the transaction taking place or they just didn't want to bow down, not sure. From my point of view clearly the clerk had billed an incorrect item which we didnt buy/have. I do not have any evidence of buying the item at all in this case because its not on the bill !! Store employees' behavior was extremely inappropriate as well when we tried to return, made us stand for an hour and extremely rude. I filed a complaint through AG and received a Gift Card of $ 50.00 which cannot at all compensate for the horrible experience we had. $ 30 is the price of item itself.

Any advice for what can i do next to pursue this further ? Is this a case I should talk to attorney about ?
You have no proof that you bought the item from their store or within that allotted time period for returns, yet you got a gift card for $20 more than the item itself. I'd walk away happy that you got more than the item was worth. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ak42135610

You have no proof that you bought the item from their store or within that allotted time period for returns, yet you got a gift card for $20 more than the item itself. I'd walk away happy that you got more than the item was worth. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I have evidence that I went for return within allotted time period as I have return receipt of other item from the bill.
So what I am inferring is - Retailer can bill the incorrect item on your bill and therefore can deny you a return for what you actually bought?? That's sweet ! And you cannot do anything about it ? $ 20 gift card is irrelevant here.

Just Blue

I have evidence that I went for return within allotted time period as I have return receipt of other item from the bill.
So what I am inferring is - Retailer can bill the incorrect item on your bill and therefore can deny you a return for what you actually bought?? That's sweet ! And you cannot do anything about it ? $ 20 gift card is irrelevant here.
Then take it up with an Attorney in your state.

Zigner

You have NO evidence that you purchased the item in question.
$ 20 gift card is irrelevant here.
You said it was a $50 gift card. That means that you've received $20 MORE than what you are asking for.

tranquility

The purpose of the "bill" is for you to have a record of what you bought. You should look at them when you receive it to make sure it is right. You said the gift card was for $50 which was $20 more than you originally paid for the item. Since there is no way for you to prove you bought the item from the store and brought it back within the time frame, you cannot sue. That you got back more in a gift card than the item was worth, makes no one care about your horrible plight.

Go online and look up retail return fraud to know why the store wanted to be careful and why you had to wait for them to check. That they gave you anything at all makes me think that, if they were rude, they were just returning the favor.

ak42135610

Yes, I received $ 20 + waste of an hour or more standing at the counter explaining them that I DID BUY the item + impolite conversation from the store manager and LP who made us feel like we were frauds + no apology from the store.

I didn't have to be here or complain to AG if all I wanted was just $ 20 in gift card. What about the mental agony that was caused to my family ? None of that counts in Legal Forums anymore ?

Zigner

Yes, I received $ 20 + waste of an hour or more standing at the counter explaining them that I DID BUY the item + impolite conversation from the store manager and LP who made us feel like we were frauds + no apology from the store.

I didn't have to be here or complain to AG if all I wanted was just $ 20 in gift card. What about the mental agony that was caused to my family ? None of that counts in Legal Forums anymore ?
Mental agony? Are you serious?

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Blue

"Mental agony"?

Really?

Glad that you haven't had a loved one die lately or been in a horrific car crash. Therefor your idea of a return gone wrong is "Mental Agony".

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Um.. unless you can *prove* that the bill was intentionally incorrect, you're kind of out of luck.

How is the retailer to know that you paid for it without a *valid* receipt? For all the hapless person dealing with you knows, you could have shop lifted the item. Expecting omniscience seems a tall order.

The problem is NOT the return policy: they were willing to adhere to it, if your receipt had listed the item in question. The problem is the incorrect billing.

ak42135610

Mental agony? Are you serious?
i am just asking for advice..cant i get straight forward answers ? i know people here are senior members but please maintain the decency, which you did btw, by deleting the 'additional possible statements'.

"Person"- ??? just cos i am asking for free advice, didnt ask "you" for it. Ignore the post. you dont have to reply at all.

I am not aware of legal definitions, just used the term. Isn't that why people ask for advice when they dont know something ??

Last edited by a moderator:

ak42135610

Um.. unless you can *prove* that the bill was intentionally incorrect, you're kind of out of luck.

How is the retailer to know that you paid for it without a *valid* receipt? For all the hapless person dealing with you knows, you could have shop lifted the item. Expecting omniscience seems a tall order.

The problem is NOT the return policy: they were willing to adhere to it, if your receipt had listed the item in question. The problem is the incorrect billing.
Thanks ! Just wanted to discuss what I thought to achieve peace of mind.

People here are ready to kill the loved ones to make me understand how "Mental Agony" feels !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">