• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retaliation by a nationally known propane company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marie1960

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I've been a customer of one of the largest propane companies in the country for nearly 12 years. 2 years ago I discovered that the discounted rate offered to employees of my company had not been honored by this propane company for years. The story was featured on a local TV station. I received a refund of nearly $3,000. Skip ahead to December 4th 2013. My propane tank ran dry, even though I'm on a "routine fill schedule" the bill was outrageous, which I questioned. The office manager sent an email assuring that I'd have a credit on my account amounting to nearly $400.00. The next day I received a certified letter from the district manager canceling my account. the contract states that I must use all the propane in my tank (now full to the top) within 30 days and forfeit the tank (rent is paid until 5/2014). Bottom line: I won't have an account to credit, furthermore I will not have heat, hot water nor the ability to cook. I paid way too much for the propane, and now the company is going to steal it back. I have never been late with a payment, have been a loyal customer, but I dared to complain. Now they are retaliating....
The contract seems to offer the consumer no recourse...

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I've been a customer of one of the largest propane companies in the country for nearly 12 years. 2 years ago I discovered that the discounted rate offered to employees of my company had not been honored by this propane company for years. The story was featured on a local TV station. I received a refund of nearly $3,000. Skip ahead to December 4th 2013. My propane tank ran dry, even though I'm on a "routine fill schedule" the bill was outrageous, which I questioned. The office manager sent an email assuring that I'd have a credit on my account amounting to nearly $400.00. The next day I received a certified letter from the district manager canceling my account. the contract states that I must use all the propane in my tank (now full to the top) within 30 days and forfeit the tank (rent is paid until 5/2014). Bottom line: I won't have an account to credit, furthermore I will not have heat, hot water nor the ability to cook. I paid way too much for the propane, and now the company is going to steal it back. I have never been late with a payment, have been a loyal customer, but I dared to complain. Now they are retaliating....
The contract seems to offer the consumer no recourse...
I suggest you contact the same local TV station that ran the story two years ago and show the documents you have and tell of your current problems with the company. It is amazing how some companies can become reasonable when faced with news cameras and a microphone and a reporter asking them to explain themselves.

Marie1960

I suggest you contact the same local TV station that ran the story two years ago and show the documents you have and tell of your current problems with the company. It is amazing how some companies can become reasonable when faced with news cameras and a microphone and a reporter asking them to explain themselves.
That is on my "to do" list for next week, I'm hoping they will be interested in a follow up story. I'm so angry, propane companies seem to get away with putting the screws to consumers without consequence. No rules and regs for these powerful entities. Thanks for responding! The last paragraph of the contract does offer arbitration..any words of wisdom on that process?

Marie1960

Do they have some kind of monopoly where you list? Are they required to sell you propane?
There are other companies, but this big one is keen on taking over the small ones in our area. There are no requirements to sell propane, they are not regulated like electric power companies. One issue is that I get a substantial company discount (when honored). Another is that it is winter, snow on the ground and it may not be possible for another company to place a tank. This current company's contract states "we are not responsible for damage to property/person resulting from retrieving equipment from homeowners property." It also states that "the homeowner may not prevent access to property."
This contract was initiated in 2002. Grrr. I think I may be screwed. It's tempting to see if a national news agency would cover such a story...I may just send out feelers.

justalayman

that was a quick escalation from:

I was given a big refund to they are taking the tank out.

The next day I received a certified letter from the district manager canceling my account. the contract states that I must use all the propane in my tank (now full to the top) within 30 days and forfeit the tank (rent is paid until 5/2014)
what contract says you have to use the remaining gas within 30 days? Sending you a letter in the mail is not a contract.

LdiJ

that was a quick escalation from:

I was given a big refund to they are taking the tank out.

what contract says you have to use the remaining gas within 30 days? Sending you a letter in the mail is not a contract.
If I understood correctly they gave the OP 30 days notice that they are taking the tank, whether there is still propane in it or not.

justalayman

If I understood correctly they gave the OP 30 days notice that they are taking the tank, whether there is still propane in it or not.
but the OP asked to have it filled immediately before they recieved the letter and they filled it/

regardless, that does not make a contract. It is a demand and given the fact the gas company just filled it, with apparently the knowledge the account was being terminated, OP has a valid argument that they cannot take the tank within 30 days or they cannot charge for the gas within.

actually, I'm trying to figure out when they filled the tank between it running empty on the 4th and getting the termination notice on the 5th

Skip ahead to December 4th 2013. My propane tank ran dry, even though I'm on a "routine fill schedule" the bill was outrageous, which I questioned. The office manager sent an email assuring that I'd have a credit on my account amounting to nearly $400.00. The next day I received a certified letter from the district manager canceling my account.

Marie1960

but the OP asked to have it filled immediately before they recieved the letter and they filled it/

regardless, that does not make a contract. It is a demand and given the fact the gas company just filled it, with apparently the knowledge the account was being terminated, OP has a valid argument that they cannot take the tank within 30 days or they cannot charge for the gas within.

actually, I'm trying to figure out when they filled the tank between it running empty on the 4th and getting the termination notice on the 5th
They filled the tank (it ran dry in spite of being on a routine fill schedule) on December 4th, we paid the bill, then realized that if our tank had been filled as scheduled (monthly) our cost would have been much less, since price hikes are typical in late Fall. Our tank had last been filled in August. In addition we realized that our company discount had not been honored (once again), even though the bill reflected a "special" rate. I wrote an email, followed by a phone call complaining about the situation, received an email back stating that our account would be credited $400.00, then the next day a certified letter arrived terminating service. I know this is difficult to follow. Thanks for your efforts. The bottom line is I have a full tank, and told that I'd be issued a credit on an account that is in the process of being terminated. This goes back to 2011 when we were featured in a consumer action piece on a local TV station. In 2011 this same company issued a refund check for nearly $3000.00 which we had overpaid. They don't like complainers apparently. No freedom of speech accepted in this industry.

justalayman

So they are intending on refunding your money but your concern it will be applied to a dead account? Otherwise financially all is fine?

Marie1960

So they are intending on refunding your money but your concern it will be applied to a dead account? Otherwise financially all is fine?
Well, they stated in an email that they would credit our account, but then gave notice of cancellation less than 24 hours later. So no, we weren't credited, as we have no account. Plus they require that we empty the tank before 1/13/14. I plan to call, email and show up at our local office tomorrow, Monday...I have no idea what to expect.

justalayman

I'm thinking you might want to relax and slow down a bit. If they end up taking the tank they are not going to be able to charge you for the costs of the gas (at least anything more than some reasonable amount you may have used by the time they take the tank).

I suspect a lot of what is happening is based on what you said to them about the issue. Without knowing that it is anybody's guess as to why they are acting as they are.

So, wait until tomorrow and see what is happening and go from there.

Marie1960

I'm thinking you might want to relax and slow down a bit. If they end up taking the tank they are not going to be able to charge you for the costs of the gas (at least anything more than some reasonable amount you may have used by the time they take the tank).

I suspect a lot of what is happening is based on what you said to them about the issue. Without knowing that it is anybody's guess as to why they are acting as they are.

So, wait until tomorrow and see what is happening and go from there.
Sadly we have already paid for the gas in the tank, at an astounding $3.75 per gallon. (almost $900.00) Hopefully I'll be able to report back that all is well...however, I've researched a few consumer sites re: this company. Not encouraging.

TigerD

Buy a tank.
Have it placed.
Hire another propane company to transfer your gas from the old tank to the new tank.
Never do business with the old company again.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">