• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rewrite Car Lease Contract...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dan123456

One month(08/26/2015) ago I traded in my previous car and leased a new one in the same dealer. But few days ago I've received the email and then mail (because I live in another state now) with a new contract and �Acknowledgment of the Rewritten Contract�. The reason for rewriting: "buyer and co-buyer signed in the same line". The new contract is without any changes in numbers and dated by date of previous contract(08/26/2015). I checked my old contract and I didn't see any lines with two signatures in the one line. In �Acknowledgment of the Rewritten Contract� is written that the date of new contract will be 09/25/2015.
Please help me to understand:
1. Is it safety to sigh new contract and �Acknowledgment of the Rewritten Contract�?
2. What could be the real reason for rewriting?

Thank you.

adjusterjack

If there is only your signature on the first contract it's possible that the leasing company agent mistakenly signed on the same line of his copy.

If two signatures appear on your copy on two different lines I suggest you call up whoever sent you the new contract and find out what's really going on.

At any rate, if you have compared the two contracts side by side, word for word, and they are identical there shouldn't be any harm in signing another one.

Just make sure you make a photocopy before sending it back.

adjusterjack

May you explain it?

Should I rewrite the contract?
Depends on what difference, if any, it would make to you monetarily if the effective date of the contract was 9/25/15 or 8/26/15.

Have you already made your first payment prior to 9/25 or is your first payment not due until after 9/25?

Dan123456

The part I have quoted above is problematic.
Depends on what difference, if any, it would make to you monetarily if the effective date of the contract was 9/25/15 or 8/26/15.

Have you already made your first payment prior to 9/25 or is your first payment not due until after 9/25?
I made my first payment when I I signed first contract at 8/26/15. Now they sent me the form that I allow them to use my credit card for the second payment.

Also I called to Audi Financial Services, they still don't have my contract and can't open account for new car, but the account for previous car was closed.

quincy

I made my first payment when I I signed first contract at 8/26/15. Now they sent me the form that I allow them to use my credit card for the second payment.

Also I called to Audi Financial Services, they still don't have my contract and can't open account for new car, but the account for previous car was closed.
You need to have the original documents you signed personally reviewed and compared to this new contract that you are being asked to sign. You should get the discrepancy in contracts clarified before you proceed.

I disagree completely with the advice offered you earlier by adjusterjack. You should not sign the new contract until you understand the reason for the change in it.

adjusterjack

I suggest you don't do that. Just send a check or money order every month.

I've heard too many horror stories from people who have allowed their credit cards and bank accounts to be accessed.

OK, now something stinks.

I'd have it out with the dealer before signing anything.

Car dealers are notorious liars and thieves, so don't believe anything they tell you.

quincy

Please do not "have it out" with your car dealer. Please do not go into the car dealership believing that all car dealers are notorious liars and thieves. And do not believe third-hand horror stories. These tend to be exaggerated, created for shock value and most of the time, just not true.

I think it would be smart for you to take your contracts (both the original one you signed and its intended replacement) to the dealership for an explanation. I recommend you do not sign any additional contract until you fully understand what it is the dealer is telling you.

You could benefit from having the contracts personally reviewed by a consumer-protection professional in your area prior to your visit to the dealership. It can help to know in advance of going into the dealership what the implications are of signing a contract where the dates have been changed (i.e, what it means to the terms of your lease and its payments).

With all of that said, if this is the second vehicle you have leased from the dealer, and if you had no difficulties with your previous lease, it is possible that the different dates appearing on the documents are a scrivener's error and nothing more (the error of which, however, needs correcting).

Last edited:

Dan123456

I think it would be smart for you to take your contracts (both the original one you signed and its intended replacement) to the dealership for an explanation. I recommend you do not sign any additional contract until you fully understand what it is the dealer is telling you.
The issue is that I'm in another state now and will stay here for a few months. The dealer sent me the new contract by Fedex.

With all of that said, if this is the second vehicle you have leased from the dealer, and if you had no difficulties with your previous lease, it is possible that the different dates appearing on the documents are a scrivener's error and nothing more (the error of which, however, needs correcting).
The first car was from an another dealer.

Thank you.

quincy

The issue is that I'm in another state now and will stay here for a few months. The dealer sent me the new contract by Fedex.

The first car was from an another dealer.

Thank you.
Okay. I read your first post to imply that you leased from the same dealer ("... I traded in my previous car and leased a new one in the same dealer"). But my advice (other than sitting down with the dealer) still stands.

Have the contracts reviewed and clarified before signing.

Good luck.

Dan123456

Today the dealer sent me its copy. It has one extra wife's signature. She is saying that it doesn't seem her signature.
XXX
XXX
I'm confused...

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">