• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right place, Wrong Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PCTekMan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My partner and I own four small computer repair shops in our local Metro-City area. We have been quite successful in the few years our stores have been operating. Two months ago we purchased a building for our fifth store. The previous owner of the building had a competing computer repair shop at that location before we bought the property from him. He had been in business for 15 years and said he was ready to retire. Both parties looked at it as a "win win" situation. Even though we bought the physical property we did not buy his business. In our state we are still listed as two separate companies. All we got was the deed to the building. Last week I had a gentleman come in and demand a refund on a refurbished PC he bought. It was for the business of the previous occupant. I informed the gentleman that we were a new and different business. He would not have it. He said just because the business is under "New Management" does not change the 90 day warranty he has on the PC he bought. Try as I might, he still did not understand. The best analogy I could think to explain it was; If you bought an item at K-Mart and went to return it to the same location but it was now a Wal-Mart. Two separate businesses, 1 location, same TYPE of business. Nothing more. Long story short, the gentleman sent us a letter of demand before he seeks legal action against us. What do we do? This is a very odd situation.

FlyingRon

You can do one of two things:

1. Refund him as good will.
2. Keep telling him you're not responsible and see if he takes legal action, which you likely will win.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My partner and I own four small computer repair shops in our local Metro-City area. We have been quite successful in the few years our stores have been operating. Two months ago we purchased a building for our fifth store. The previous owner of the building had a competing computer repair shop at that location before we bought the property from him. He had been in business for 15 years and said he was ready to retire. Both parties looked at it as a "win win" situation. Even though we bought the physical property we did not buy his business. In our state we are still listed as two separate companies. All we got was the deed to the building. Last week I had a gentleman come in and demand a refund on a refurbished PC he bought. It was for the business of the previous occupant. I informed the gentleman that we were a new and different business. He would not have it. He said just because the business is under "New Management" does not change the 90 day warranty he has on the PC he bought. Try as I might, he still did not understand. The best analogy I could think to explain it was; If you bought an item at K-Mart and went to return it to the same location but it was now a Wal-Mart. Two separate businesses, 1 location, same TYPE of business. Nothing more. Long story short, the gentleman sent us a letter of demand before he seeks legal action against us. What do we do? This is a very odd situation.
You ignore him. If he sues you in small claims court you go to court and explain to the judge just what you explained here, and the judge will set him straight.

Sometimes people just refuse to understand reality when it means that they do not get their way, or they are in the wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">