• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mpond420

I live in Dallas, Texas and an ex-colleague of mine gave me a parrot with cage back in February and said that I could pay them $500 for the cage. I told them that that I really didn't have the money at the time and they said I could pay as I could. I had only paid them $50.00 to this point in time. There was never a written contract nor a time limit on payment.

In the first half of April, my boyfriend and I split and at that time I told them that I really couldn't afford the bird now and I wanted to give her back to them and to my recollection, they didn't want her back.

April 26th I was laid off of my job and out of panic, and not being able to afford the bird, I gave it to another bird lover. I did not take any money for the bird as I simply wanted her to have a good and loving home which I knew these people could give. However, I never resumed payment.

Starting back in September, this individual has been calling and emailing me saying that they wanted to talk to me about the bird. When I told them I no longer had the bird, they said I had no right to give away their bird and that they were going to pursue legal action. I have resumed paying them according to our agreement and have told them that I would continue to pay bi-weekly until the $500 is paid, and I have since sent a $25.00 payment.

They are now saying that this is not what they want, that they want the bird and cage back or at least the cage and that they will give me back my money.

I am worried about harrassment from these individuals, as they have already left a message for me in my mailbox at my home.

My question basically is this: As long as I am making an effort to pay as per the original agreement (which I have now in writing per one of their emails), am I in my legal rights and do they not have any legal recourse against me?

They want me to contact the individual that I gave the bird to which I am not willing to do as the bird is healthier and happier than it has ever been. One of the reasons they gave me the bird is that it was causing distress to their other parrot and both birds were pulling out feathers.

I appreciate any help that I can get with this situation as I really would like for this to be put behind me.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">