• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped off by art dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmclaurin

I live in CA. Art dealer is in Illinois.

I'm looking for some 'legal' advise and hopefully someone who reads
this can advise me. I inherited a small sculpture about 2 years ago. I sent it to an art appraiser/dealer in Chicago who I paid $250 to appraise it.
He appraised it at $5,000. He offered to try and sell it for me for a 20%
commission (if it sold). I contacted him several times by phone and email over the past 2 years, and he always has someone 'interested', but
it never sells. Since it appears he is not able to sell it, in the past month, I've left him phone messages and sent emails asking that he send it back, but I've received no replies. He is clearly dodgeing me.

Should I get an attorney to write him a letter demanding he send it
back?
What other action could I take?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

Yup, have an attorney send him a letter saying that the failure to immediately return your sculpture or it's cash value will result in all kinds of nebulous yet terrible legal remedies being pursued.

TheLawMan

You can also contact the police since you never transferred ownership of the sculpture. The dealer was granted temporary custody and if he does not return it, a crime may have very well been committed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">