• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped off on new car purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janrochez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I purchased a brand new car about 48 hours ago and I'm feeling like I was ripped off & lied to. I was quoted one price based on a specific intrest rate when the deal was finialized the intrest rate jumped 3 points. Also was promised specific amount on my trade and that changed on paper. Went back the next day and was given the run around. Also was told I have a couple of features that I don't have.

What can I do as a consumer, what are my rights?:(:mad:

CourtClerk

The interest rate and the amount on your trade didn't change AFTER you signed the paperwork, did it?

How is it that you negotiated a deal, then the interest rate and all of that changed? What stopped you from saying NO?

janrochez

ripped off buying new car

Yes I did sign the paperwork after hours of negotiating and litteraly minutes before they closed. I guess the numbers didn't all register until later that night, like midnight when I was reviewing the paperwork. I guess I'm screwed! Don't I have so many days, like 30 to cancel the deal? I just really feel like they took advantage of me!

Antigone*

Yes I did sign the paperwork after hours of negotiating and litteraly minutes before they closed. I guess the numbers didn't all register until later that night, like midnight when I was reviewing the paperwork. I guess I'm screwed! Don't I have so many days, like 30 to cancel the deal? I just really feel like they took advantage of me!
You have no recourse. Enjoy your new car:cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And...you weren't ripped off on the car purchase. You purchased the car for the EXACT amount you agreed on. Just want to make sure that you understand that your financing is NOT the same as your purchase of the vehicle.

cyjeff

For future reference, I have never purchased a car when I didn't have to get up and leave the dealership at least three times.

The moment they threw paper in front of you with different numbers than you wanted to pay, you should have thanked them for their time and asked for the keys to your trade in back so you could go to that nice dealership across town.

You signed a contract. The negotiation phase is over now.

If you want to renegotiate your loan, take the title and the paperwork to your bank and see what they can do. Nothing says you can't get a different deal on the loan...

I have done this once or twice when the dealership really wanted the loan revenue enough to really deal on the car. Then, I go to my credit union where I have a good relationship and get them to give me a better deal on the financing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">