• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofing Contractor Never Cashed My Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
When I had roofing done earlier this year (May), I gave the man that came to give the estimate a down-payment check for $500, the balance due on completion of the work. He grudgingly accepted the check but said the balance should be paid in cash. When the time came to pay arrived, it was another man that came to the door. I was dubious about handing cash over to a man I had not seen before, so I wrote another check which this man accepted and signed a copy of the contract to show I had paid. So far, neither check has been cashed. You'd think the company would be anxious to get their money. Why could they be dragging their heels in cashing the checks? I have these outstanding checks and not sure how to handle this situation. Repeated attempt to contact the roofing company have gone unanswered. What should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">