• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate's Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prankish

What is the name of your state? Washington

Over the course of the last month, a friend and I had been searching for a new apartment. We originally were searching for a two bedroom, and were set to move by the end of June, 2003.

Soon, a 3rd friend (a friend of a friend, more or less) came into the picture. He said that he needed a place, and insisted we up our search to a 3 bedroom apartment.

The new roommate and I spent weeks searching out a plausible 3 bedroom home, and eventually found one on the far side of town. The new roommate made a strong insistence that we live on the far side of town, since his job was on this side and the original roommate and I work from home.

The three of us filled out our applications together, paid the deposit, and paid the first week's rent. Literally dozens of people had heard this 3rd roommate say he WAS moving in and NEEDED to get into the new apartment as soon as possible. We even made moving arrangements together for renting a U-Haul, etc.

Between the 3 of us, we met the income requirements for a 3 bedroom apartment in this complex, and we were set to move.

Well, I was the first to move in to the apartment, so I was the first to sign the lease. The new roommate said the next day that HE would sign the lease and begin the moving process. This was all planned accordingly with the apartment complex, and deemed acceptable.

The original roommate was vacationing, and would be back in early July of 2003 to sign the lease. We made a verbal agreement with the apartment complex that the other two people who applied for the apartment (myself and the new roommate) would sign the lease now, and the original roommate could sign when he got back from vacation.

As it stands, I've been living here for a week, and I am still the only one on the lease. I have activated all the utilities by request of the other roommates, as well as entering a 1 year internet contract matching the 1 year lease, neither of which can be broken without hefty fines. Not to mention moving expenses for all of my belongings.

Well, as it turns out, the new roommate has "changed his mind" after coming accross some unexpected expenses. According to him, "**** happens" and he is not responsible for ANY of the upcoming expenses, or for the lease. He has made DOZENS of verbal agreements to both the apartment complex, myself, and my vacationing roommate who will be returning home soon.

As result, the two of us will be stuck with an extra room and all the moving expenses that we planned to share... and if we break the lease, we are fined nearly $2,500 dollars.

Do I have a case for a breach of verbal contract here? Again, he's made literally DOZENS of promises with dozens of witnesses on countless occassions... and even made early payments TOWARD moving in. He made a promise of financial liability to myself, my friend, and the apartment complex... and we relied on that promise. It has all the necassary factors to be a contract, and it wouldn't seem as though the SOL applies, since the time frame is recent, and the other roommate, myself, and the apartment complex have already fulfilled a portion of the verbal contract.

I know this turned out extremely long winded, but I wanted to get all the details possible. Any help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">