• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sabotage...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johns123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Hello,
I recently took my '07 car in for new tires, the next day I notice the smell of what seems to be oil having dripped on a hot surface, I think they maybe spilled a little oil on an adjacent pipe, the smell somewhat goes away, but not totally.

I check the engine compartment and see that someone has left ajar the compartment that houses the filter for the fresh air that enters the car. No one was requested to check this filter and the manager says they did not do it, so why would it be open ?
Maybe so that I would pick up on the smell and come in to have it checked out ????

I continued to get whiffs of the oil smell on and off.
I went in for an oil change yesterday and they say the engine drive boot has been damaged, the grease that was released has covered the bottom half of my engine, and they say I need to replace the front axle, $1500.00 worth of repairs.

I truely believe these horrible people have sabotaged my car, and intentionally caused this damage. I just feel it in my bones.
Every time I go there they try to pressure me into having some kind of work done, usually expensive work, and have now resorted to this.

I realize that I can't "proove" that they did this, but I say, I'm 99.9% sure they did.

Is there anything I can do in this kind of situation.

Thanks for any help you could share.
J.

Last edited:

swalsh411

How long did you drive the car, knowing there was something wrong with it, before you had another mechanic look at it? Oh wait, you never did. Instead you waited until you needed an oil change and only then did the oil charge people notice the damage. Even if you could prove that Firestone did this (which you can't) , you still have a responsibility to mitigate the damage to your property and failed to do so. You're not going to win any case on a "feeling in your bones".

A loose air filter housing sufficient should be immediately apparent even by somebody that doesn't know much about cars. Why didn't you look under the hood? Furthermore these things have been known to pop loose by themselves from time to time.

edit: You may be able to contact the Firestone shop to see if they will give you a discount on the repairs that now need to be done because you failed to have your car looked at when there was something clearly wrong with it.

Last edited:

swalsh411

You are making allegations you simply do not have the evidence to substantiate. Have you gotten the opinion of a ASE certified mechanic that leaving the air filter cover ajar for a few days caused the damage? The average grease monkey at an oil change place is not qualified to make that determination.

johns123

It isn't the air filter cover.
It's the cabin fresh air intake filter compartment, which brings fresh air into the car's seating area, and if left ajar, would let fumes from the engine compartment into the cars seating area.

The damage was that someone intentionally broke the rubber boot where the engines axle connects to the wheel, the escaping grease goes on the engine, creates a burning oil smell, which I would notice because someone left the fresh air intake compartment ajar, how convenient.

After the grease is released from the boot, you could drive the car for a couple months before any noticable damage had been done. Road dirt gets in there and destroys everything.

I know I can't prove it, and devious people will continue to do these things, because they can get away with it. These people are one of the sorriest excuses for a human being, it really is disgusting.

swalsh411

These rubber boots can break with ordinary road debris and they can also develop cracks over time. It is a maintenance item which needs to be checked regularly. Do you have any records to show you had these inspected recently?

You haven't answered my question. Have you had an independent mechanic look at it and offer an opinion whether it was purposeful damage?

Car Talk

johns123

I'm having an independent mechanic look at it tomorrow.
I understand that its a maintenance item, but the timing of the damage, actually noticed the day after it comes out of this dealer, to me, looks way too suspicious to be considered accidental.

But I guess thats just me.

ps. This mechanic says he can replace the boot and axle, labor included for $175.,
they wanted to stick it to me for $1500, plus tax,
they really are a caring group aren't they. ...not.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Always good to get a second opinion. I have found independent mechanics to be a better choice even if they do not always have the absolute lowest price because they care about their reputation. The average employee at Firestone doesn't care if you aren't happy. I have also found they tend not to nickle and dime you as well.

bellasmom123

I cant believe this

In a million years you would not believe this. FIRESTONE just did this to my car I picked my car up after they worked on it 1300.00 worth of work it went in and out I called the regional manager took it back to the store. I pick up my car and the very next day my ABS light goes on, check engine light and I lose use of my breaks. I know that the guy was pissed and did something theyd get away with. They cracked the ring on the axle because you can still drive with it but eventually youd have to replace it. The spring was missing. I dont think they expected it to come to light the very next day after sitting there from driving it home 3 blocks so its not even like we drove it a while. The guy was so pissed that we called corporate. I then called so upset so the regional manager said immediately you can take it wherever you want get the work done I will pay for it He went on vacation, I took it to lexus they found out I needed rear breaks, the spring was missing, axle ring was cracked, lights Firestone just charged me for needed bulbs (3 days after they were replaced.) By the way just passed state inspection by firestone they charged me for front brakes, lexus determined, I needed rear brakes, pads, an axle, axle ring, spring, brake sensors, etc etc etc I get the work done its 3500.00 we left firestone regional manager multiple messages before, during and after work was done and now he said he will only pay for everything but 1800.00 for the axle stuff because theres no way its their fault he said the manager at lexus told him that. I called and spoke to them and lexus said they did not say that. Oh and I have the message from the regional manager telling me to take it wherever I want, he will cover the costs for the repairs and rental car...... my car is sitting at lexus waiting to be paid firestone said because they passed inspection doesnt admit guilt and because they are good will accepting responsibility for the reat they wont pay for this. The manager threatened me and said he wont pay for anything unless i sign the waiver and take the deal.

I dont know what to do.....I am shocked you had similar situation

It isn't the air filter cover.
It's the cabin fresh air intake filter compartment, which brings fresh air into the car's seating area, and if left ajar, would let fumes from the engine compartment into the cars seating area.

The damage was that someone intentionally broke the rubber boot where the engines axle connects to the wheel, the escaping grease goes on the engine, creates a burning oil smell, which I would notice because someone left the fresh air intake compartment ajar, how convenient.

After the grease is released from the boot, you could drive the car for a couple months before any noticable damage had been done. Road dirt gets in there and destroys everything.

I know I can't prove it, and devious people will continue to do these things, because they can get away with it. These people are one of the sorriest excuses for a human being, it really is disgusting.

quincy

bellasmom123, please start your own thread and do not forget to include the name of your state.

This one is from 2012 and belongs to john123 of New Jersey, the original poster. The thread is limited to his legal question and concerns.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">