• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of Automobile from private seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inIndy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana (purchase made in AZ)

About 5 months ago, while going through a divorce, a friend sold me their car.

The contract stated that I would make payments to them "when able to, and in a timely manner" as they were well aware of my situation. They signed the title over to me, and I now hold the title.

I am continuing to struggle financially as the single father of three children, and have maintained constant contact with the former owner of the car from day one, and they were and are aware of my situation. Their source of income has recently dwindled and now they are coming to me demanding I either give the car back or pay the balance as they are too struggling financially. Since the sale of the vehicle I moved across the country to Indiana, with their knowledge, and have established residence here. I am not looking to not pay on the vehicle, just simply looking for some legal advice as they are now threatening to take me to small claims court. I also recently discovered that they have been discussing the contract and supposed "issues" with others in the small town we lived in prior, spreading malicious rumors and lies about me in the town. As I still own a controlling interest in a business in that town, what legal standing might I have in that situation if any? I thank you in advance for any advice you may offer.

stressed in Indiana.:confused:

JETX

As I still own a controlling interest in a business in that town, what legal standing might I have in that situation if any?
The 'legal standing' you have is to comply with your purchase agreement. And yes, they could file a suit against you but, if the contract is really that vague in repayment terms (very poor move on their part), then you are not in breach until such time as you don't pay "when able to".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">