• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of puppy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cole999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I sold a puppy to a woman on a Wednesday for $350. This puppy was 7 weeks old, vet checked, and vaccinated. Upon exchange of the puppy, the buyer signed a purchase agreement stating that the puppy at the time of purchase was of healthy appearance and disposition. I as well signed it and gave her a copy and the certificate from the vet. While in my care, this puppy ate, drank, played and used the bathroom regularly. The buyer e-mailed me the next day stating that this was her first puppy and asked me questions regarding feeding, bathing, and bathroom usage, I responded quickly. I again e-mailed her Frriday just to check up, with no response. I got a call on Saturday morning from the buyer stating that the puppy has not eaten since she purchased him and he was not doing well. She stated she was taking the puppy to the vet. I got a call a short time later stating the puppy had passed away, and by the opinion of the vet it could be from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), a side effect of not eating, but could not be fully determined unless an autopsy was performed.

My question is this: Am I legally responsible to refund the money for the puppy?

I, in good faith, offered back $125 dollars, for the loss. I felt bad. She agreed. Then called me back and stated that it was an insult and a slap to her face, and that my offer was not good enough for her.

swalsh411

I know it's a living creature but legally dogs are property. Did you offer any sort of specific guarantee or warranty on the dog? Is the woman planning on having an autopsy performed?

cole999

Thank You for responding; No, there was never a gaurantee or warranty given with the puppy. I gave a purchase agreement, which basically stated that at the time of pick up the puppy was healthy and w/o defect. This agreement was signed by both myself and the purchaser. Other than that, the vet examination was the only other documentation given. I am not sure what she plans on doing in regards to the autopsy, I am a little upset about the thought of that. Butchering a little puppy like that. Thats why I offered some sort of compensation. I know that she did pay $350, but how am I to know what happened with the puppy when he left. He was perfectly fine when he was here, for seven weeks. All of a sudden, in another persons care, he gets sick. I am generally a passive person. I don't like drama, or arguing, but I was very upset about this whole thing. She got her mother on the phone with me, whom of which attacked me verbally for more than 5 minutes. I understand her loss, I feel bad as well. I don't know what to do.

ariastar

The puppy is personal property and was sold without warranty.

Before your next litter, please read up on proper breeding. Though a puppy can legally be sold at 7 weeks, they reap health and other benefits by staying with the litter until 12 weeks. It's possible the pup wasn't yet mentally equipped with the ability to endure this type of stress, and responded by not eating. If you care about the puppies you sell, you should keep them with the litter.

I've breed pups, and they stay with the litter until at least 12 weeks and have all shots. I interview the hell out of homes, and will turn away more than 10 times as many applicants as I have pups. Of the last litter, we kept 1, 2 went to friends, and we interviewed over 100 homes for the remaining 5. We took our time, and placed the last two at 6 months of age.

Breeding is hard, and because living creatures are involved, you shouldn't take short-cuts to get them out the door to get money in your hands as soon as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">