• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sales agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Donnak

What is the name of your state? maryland
can someone please tell me if a retail installment contract and security agreement is a complicated way of saying its a promisary note?...

HomeGuru

Donnak said:
What is the name of your state? maryland
can someone please tell me if a retail installment contract and security agreement is a complicated way of saying its a promisary note?...
**A: No.

D

Donnak

can you explain to me what it is? I'm having problems with a dealer who wants to change the amounts i agreed to pay

JETX

: installment contract
n. an agreement in which payments of money, delivery of goods or performance of services are to be made in a series of payments, deliveries or performances, usually on specific dates or upon certain happenings. One significance is that failure to pay an installment when due is a breach in which damages can be assessed based on the portion which has not been paid, and is an excuse for the other party not to perform further.

:security interest
n. generic term for the property rights of a lender or creditor whose right to collect a debt is secured by property.
(Note: A security agreement is an agreement giving the lender specific rights of security on a property)

: promissory note
n. a written promise by a person (variously called maker, obligor, payor, promisor) to pay a specific amount of money (called "principal") to another (payee, obligee, promisee), usually to include a specified amount of interest on the unpaid principal amount (what he/she owes). The specified time of payment may be written as: a) whenever there is a demand, b) on a specific date, c) in installments with or without the interest included in each installment, d) installments with a final larger amount (balloon payment). A promissory note may contain other terms such as the right of the promisee to order payment be made to another person, penalties for late payments, a provision for attorney's fees and costs if there is a legal action to collect, the right to collect payment in full if the note is secured by real property and the property is sold ("due on sale" clause), and whether the note is secured by a mortgage or deed of trust or a financing statement (a filed security agreement for personal collateral called UCC-1). The promissory note is usually held by the party to whom the money is owed. There are legal limitations to the amount of interest which may be charged. Charging a rate in excess of the legal limit is called "usury," and this excess is legally uncollectible. When the amount due on the note, including interest and penalties (if any), is paid, the note must be cancelled and surrendered to the person(s) who signed it. A promissory note need only be signed and does not require an acknowledgement before a notary public to be valid.

D

Donnak

thank you for your reply but i'm still a little confused. Is the retail installment contract and security agreement a legally binding contract? i'm not sure if it makes any difference or not but the purchase was made in Virginia

JETX

"Is the retail installment contract and security agreement a legally binding contract?"
*** An installment contract and a promissory note can both be 'legally binding' contracts. The security agreement is usually either included in them, or added as an addendum.

Simply, the installment contract and the promissory note dictate the terms of the 'loan' and repayment, and the 'security agreement' details what security (collateral) is involved in the agreement(s) and that the lender has a right to recover (repossess) that security in the event of breach of the repayment agreement.

D

Donnak

thank you so much for your help. I have a car dealer who after telling me before i bought the car that i had my loan approved is now saying that the loan is not enough to cover the price of the car and that i have to pay him $2000 or give the car back. I don't know if what they are doing is legal in virginia

HomeGuru

Donnak said:
thank you so much for your help. I have a car dealer who after telling me before i bought the car that i had my loan approved is now saying that the loan is not enough to cover the price of the car and that i have to pay him $2000 or give the car back. I don't know if what they are doing is legal in virginia
**A: why didn't you tell us that in the first place? It is legal for them to tell you to retun the vehicle if you cannot pay the contracted purchase price.

JETX

There are LOTS of issues that arise when a dealer claims you don't qualify for a vehicle AFTER you have already signed the agreement and taken possession of the car.

For example, assuming the dealer financed, did they approve your credit or was it in 'limbo' until another company approved it??
It is very common for these sleaze-ball (2nd or 3rd tier dealers) to bait you with the 'drive-away', then tell you that you didn't qualify and have to pay more. However, if the dealer provided the financing and approved your credit, they are usually obligated to comply with the contract that THEY made.

A lot of these dealers will qualify you for credit (mainly to 'hook' you with the car), then will try to sell that note to another finance company. And your credit may not qualify for the 2nd company. The dealer will give you the story like you got, in order to try to get you back in to meet the 2nd lenders requirements (often with a lesser loan amount). Problem is, the failure to qualify is due to the SELLER's screw up in approving the credit in the first place. Don't fall for this likely 'scam'.

If you want to keep the car AND the deal you made, I suggest you have a local attorney review the documents and see what obligations you have, if any.

D

Donnak

I wanted to thank everyone for there wonderful advice. It was most valuable. I decided that i'm going to just return the car and forget i ever met these crooks. I do have one last question. Since they are the ones that have demanded more money from me or the return of the car, am i entitled to my deposit back?

JETX

Before you return the car, or even drive the car on their lot, you need to get ANY agreements in writing.
1) Ask for a full refund of your deposit in cashier check when you turn over the vehicle.
2) Ask for a full release from any further claims by the dealer and that the dealer 'indemnify you' from any claims by other parties (in case any lender comes after you later).

Do NOT turn over the keys or possession (don't even drive the car onto their property when you arrive. Park on the street or anywhere you can leave if you need to). If possible, take a videotape of the condition of the vehicle immediately prior to returning it. Anticipate any sneaky, underhanded thing that these people could do to you.... and be prepared.

D

Donnak

With Sincere thanks to all

I wanted to extend my thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice i received. I learned a very valuable lesson from this whole mess and felt very confident when i returned the car, argued with them and then received my full refund all of which i wouldn't have done without the help and advice i received here. Thank you so much.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">