• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage Title Vehicle Turned Nightmare. Whee!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intransit

What is the name of your state? Occurred in PA, I live in NJ.

Hello all,
This is my first post to these forums, and I'm curious to see what fruits come of the collected intellect. Here is the situation I lie in:

Made contact a used car dealership (Feretti Motors) around early April. I had seen their ad on Ebay and contacted them with some specifics. They offered to complete the deal outside of Ebay's system.

They had just purchased the car and hadn't gotten the title back in their name (April 12th) yet. They told me that I would need to put the full amount of money down for the car in order to get it titled "or nothing could be titled in my name." On April 15th they accepted my deposit for the full amount and told me that it would be a few days-- "ready on tuesday" when it would be ready for me. It was a salvage title vehicle, and they needed to retitle it in their name, and then flip the title to a reconstructed title.

After a week and no phone call I followed up and they said they were still waiting on getting the title back from the DMV. I spent more time waiting and received no follow up phone calls. After two weeks and many unreturned phone calls, I was advised on April 29th that they had finally gotten the title back in their name as a salvage title, and I had to wait two *more* weeks for them to now flip the salvage title to a reconstruct in my name. I would be able to take posession of the car more than a month after I gave them the money. Intial date of money transfer-- April 15th, and final notice of having to wait 2 more weeks-- April 29th.

At that point I told them I'd rather do the retitling work myself in New Jersey, and would come down and speak to them about the deal's issues if and only if they could produce a completed clean Insurance company work order for the car, before and after pictures, and repair receipts or a notarized document stating that the car was in acceptible condition, and any repairs done to it. They were aware that I'd have also produce receipts for any necessary work done to the car in order for it to be titled in NJ.

When I arrived to inspect the papers, there were no before and after pictures, no document signed by a notary, and a Insurance company invoice for over $5,000 dollars worth of work to be done on the car to make it saleable. At that point I signed nothing, did not take posession of the car, and told them I would follow up on Monday as the current situation was completely unacceptible. He was trying to print up some pictures that were obviously just from the Ebay ad, and he also tried to pawn off an un-notarized letter on me as well.

The salesman was contacted Tuesday, May 5th and refused any reasonable offer by myself. I've been waiting two days for the general manager to return my phone calls but no effort at contact by him has been made yet. I also had contact a woman working in their office on Monday to leave a msg for the general manager to contact me. It is Wednesday night now and I've not received any phone calls from anyone at the dealership, much less the GM. I told both of them that I was no longer interested in the deal and wanted to back out. They basically told me to shove it, and I had to take the car.

Here is the ebay ad.

Here is my long thread on a Subaru message board. The legal issues crop up around page 4.

I've tried to be as thourough as possible in this post, please let me know if there are any other questions. I've filed complaints with both the BBB and Department of Consumer Affairs of Pennsylvania, and I believe I need to get a lawyer involved at this point as I'm unable to sort this out myself. I want my money back.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">