• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage Yard Broke the Car and now They're Asking For Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetpearl

Recently the window-wiper switch on my car broke (I have a '91 Buick Century station wagon) plus I needed to get the brakes done. We (my husband and I) took the car to a well-known chain garage that specializes in brake jobs. The garage said they could also fix the wiper switch if we could find another one. They sent us to an auto supply store that in turn sent us to the local salvage yard. The yard had the switch and they said they could change it for us. They said it would be a five-minute job. Foolishly we agreed.

For the next six hours various salvage yard employees, none of whom could speak English, proceeded to systematically tear the dashboard and steering column of our car apart. For a while we were afraid that we no longer had a car, but in the end the morons did put things together somewhat. Unfortunately the wipers still didn't work. Then the boss came out waving a switch and said he had someone who could fix the problem. With many misgivings we agreed.

The employee, who was apparently the smartest one working there, did indeed fix the wiper problem. The wiper blades now work. However the front left parking lights and, more importantly, the left front turn signal do not work anymore. They were working before the salvage yard employees tore apart the steering column and dashboard (which, by the way, wasn't put together quite right)

Now the salvage yard is demanding $220. For what? All we owe them is the price of the wiper switch ($35 according to what they said) and the two minutes it took to actually change the switches. The rest of the time was just screwing around by employees who had no business getting anywhere near a working car. Moreover, we now have no front left turn signal which essentially means we no longer have a car.

I think what the salvage yard did has cost us more than what they fixed and I don't think they deserve to be paid except for the thirty five dollars and two minutes of labor.

Meanwhile we're forced to drive an unsafe car that will not pass inspection.

There is no way my husband and I can afford to buy another car right now, not even a used one.

We did get the brakes done and we don't blame the garage for sending us to an auto supply store which in turn sent us to the salvage yard.

How can we fight paying the $220? They broke ( the front left turn-signal assembly to give it its full name) more than they fixed (the wiper-switch) and they messed up the steering column and dashboard. If anything, I think they owe us money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">