• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed into magazines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKirkwood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I made a verbal agreement with a company that solicited my mobile phone one day while I was at work. I ended up agreeing to 5 magazines a month for 4 years. The call was recorded. I received a call 5 minutes later to verfiy that the caller explained everything to me and that I understood what I was told. During this call I mentioned that I would like to cancel because I was having second thoughts since I did not speak to my husband about this purchase. I was then told that I could not cancel because the order had already been placed and prepaid by her company so that I would receive the "great" discount.

I do not want these magazines and I do not have time to read them. They pile up in my mailbox. My husband asked me to cancel the order and he refuses to pay the company. He thinks that I should be able cancel because it was not a written, signed contract. I wrote them to try to cancel the order and I was sent a letter back explaining that I could not cancel the order.

My payment is passed due and I now receive a minimum of five calls a day on my cell phone from this company. They call me seven days a week and while I am in class and during work. In my email to cancel the order, I also explained to them that I wanted them to stop calling my cell phone and I gave them an alternate phone number. I also asked that they add my husband as a contact because he takes care of all of our financials and he refuses to pay them. They continue to call my cell phone and they have never tried to contact my husband. It has become somewhat of a nightmare.

Is this verbal contract binding? Is there any way that I can get out of this? Also, if I did not give them my social security number, is it true that they cannot send me to collections and ruin my credit? Finally, is this company allowed to call my cell phone with an "unknown" number? I cant call them back when I miss the calls because it does not show a phone number.

BL

Enjoy your mags , you agreed via a recorded agreement .

I suggest paying -v- credit report entry .

Lesson learned.

Zenica

Enjoy your mags , you agreed via a recorded agreement .

I suggest paying -v- credit report entry .

Lesson learned.
Yes but isn't the purpose of the call back to confirm the order
and to check for accuracy of the information? It seems reasonable
that at that time, it can be canceled. The notion that the order was
already placed and paid for is unrealistic. How many times have I ordered
something, paid for express service and next day air only to find 2 days
later the order was just processing. I think the second call should have been
recorded!

9 out of 10 times, your SOL with these people, the best advice is to
NEVER agree to anything they want an agreement on! I always tell them
just give me your number, I'll think about it and call you back. If they
press for a definitive, I say NO Thank you.

IF the OP used a credit card which seems unlikely since they are sending
invoices, I would dispute it, that is often enough for these #@!$% to
black list your name which happens to be a good thing.

Good luck.

I mean it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
First invoice, call their customer service number (of course, you may have to use Google to find a phone number) and tell them you want to cancel. I've been caught by this kind of thing myself, but I called them and told them that I could no longer afford the magazines. I still get a few of the silly things but I don't get billed for them any more.

BL

If that fails file complaint(s) with your local Office of Attorney General's Consumer Affairs .

See where it goes .

MKirkwood

If that fails file complaint(s) with your local Office of Attorney General's Consumer Affairs .

See where it goes .
Thanks. I wrote the BBB, Louisiana attorney general, and the Federal Trade Commision. I guess if that does not work then I will take the advice of your first post and enjoy my magazines!

MKirkwood

I am free!!!!!

I just received a reply to my BBB complaint and they have agreed to cancel the service! My nightmare is over. Thank you to anyone who gave me advice.

VeronicaLodge

I just received a reply to my BBB complaint and they have agreed to cancel the service! My nightmare is over. Thank you to anyone who gave me advice.
congrats! that is good news. now be careful the next time you accept something over the phone especially if you did not place the call! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">