• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

scholarship given by mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rastraus

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My daughter was given a scholarship from a local community college. The college called today and said it was given to her by mistake and she was not eligible for it. They want her to pay it back. When she received the scholarship she didnt know what it was for so she asked the financial aid office and they explained to her what it was. She used the money for classes last semester. Is she responsible for paying this back even though it was the college's mistake????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rastraus said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My daughter was given a scholarship from a local community college.

When she received the scholarship she didnt know what it was for . . .

======================================

My response:

Obviously, if she didn't know what it was, then she obviously didn't deserve it - - especially if the letter started out by saying, "Congratulations - - here's your scholarship".

Is her name Kelly Bundy?

IAAL

JETX

Actually, I doubt that they would have any legal basis to force the return of the used scholarship. Especially since your daughter might not have chosen that school without it.
I wouldn't count on a scholarship from them next year though.

R

rastraus

hmmmm

Well I thought this was a legit message board but from the reply I got from "I'am always liable" I guess there are bitter people even on this board. Thanks for the GOOD advise from the rest of the posters.

R

rastraus

I forgot to mention that my daughter DID NOT apply for this scholorship, they just gave it to her. Anyone else with some advise?????

R

rastraus

Well I wrote to the college and told them I didnt think I was responsible for the scholarship. They wrote back and said that indeed I was and added it to her tuition bill for the fall semester. I guess I will have to pay this unless anyone else has any other suggestions?????

A

AmateurShyster

I think you just have to pay back this mistaken payment. You'd only be entitled to keep it if you could show that you reasonably relied on the scholarship payment to do something that you wouldn't otherwise have done. I'd question how reasonable your reliance could have been if your daughter never applied for a scholarship. You didn't say she enrolled for the fall semester when she wouldn't otherwise have done so, so I'm guessing she was already a student at the college?

Anyway, it was gift out of the blue to start with, and you probably don't really feel cheated now that it's been taken away, do you?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AmateurShyster said:
I think you just have to pay back this mistaken payment. You'd only be entitled to keep it if you could show that you reasonably relied on the scholarship payment to do something that you wouldn't otherwise have done. I'd question how reasonable your reliance could have been if your daughter never applied for a scholarship. You didn't say she enrolled for the fall semester when she wouldn't otherwise have done so, so I'm guessing she was already a student at the college?

Anyway, it was gift out of the blue to start with, and you probably don't really feel cheated now that it's been taken away, do you?

My response:

AmateurShyster, these people would undoubtedly do the same thing if their bank erred in their favor. People like this take advantage of honest errors, looking for the angle, looking for a way to keep that which they know isn't theirs.

It's just another way of saying "thief".

Nice to have you aboard by the way.

IAAL

R

rastraus

Well that is the best reply I have gotten on this board. Thank you very much for opening my eyes. I never looked at it that way! You sound like a very nice, honest person. Again, I appreciate your response and I am taking your advise. :)

R

rastraus

Response to I Am Always Liable: I believe I am a very honest person and I pride myself in doing the right thing. That is why I sought advise on this board. Sometimes I get caught up in the situation and it takes "nice" people (like AmateurShyster) to get me to see things in a different light. Maybe you should open your eyes a little to the people who come to this board. Not everyone is out to get something for nothing! :mad:

HomeGuru

rastraus said:
Response to I Am Always Liable: I believe I am a very honest person and I pride myself in doing the right thing. That is why I sought advise on this board. Sometimes I get caught up in the situation and it takes "nice" people (like AmateurShyster) to get me to see things in a different light. Maybe you should open your eyes a little to the people who come to this board. Not everyone is out to get something for nothing! :mad:
**A: and IAAL is not a nice person?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">