• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stump1954

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My son's High School rents the student their textbooks.

they go to the school bookstore as a group and get them and at the end of the year go as a group and return them. the school gives no paper work to confirm any of this process.

This year (my son's 1st year at the school) They send a paper one month after the end of the school year saying that one of the books is missing and to send them $ 80 or collection fees will be tacked on to the charge.

My son returned the book as fellow classmates remember him going with the class. The school stance is that their records show no book returned nor will they inventory to check (my son wrote his name inside the book's front cover on the label for this)

what recourse do I have , I know the book is there but proving it.

pammness

yuck

I would first contact the school again, if you did not in person the first time, I suggest you do so this time. Speak with the pricipal directly.... Explain this to him, give him a list of those that saw your son turn in his book and also the date in which he turned it in. Let him know your son DID have his name in the front of the book. You did not say if they give receipts for them.... I will for this message assume they do not. If they do not I would ask that they change this and make it a school policy. See if he/she will investigate this. If he/she will not, let him know your are not satisified (nicely) and also inform him verbal and in writing (have a letter ready with you) Stating the above issue and that your next stop will be the school board. Dated and signed by you. Have 3 copies of said letter and ask him to sign each one, leaving him a copy, having one for your self and one to give the school board. If he refuses to do so, simple note the time of your visit and he refused to sign. I doubt it will go that far. But, I have learned from past experiences with schools to always be prepared for the worst. All of this is baased on my belief that there was no receipts given for returned textbooks. Also if you cannot get them to change the policy for giving a receipt, have your son take a list of the books with him when he turns them in next time and have the person receiving the books (adult only) Sign it and stating they did in fact get the books from him.
I recently had an issue where I was billed for a book from the school for damages, they prooved to me it was damage. It was a new book and cost me 55$
That's another thing.... was the book new ? If not, and you do have to pay, they cannot charge you for a new book if it was and old book, they have to mark down book according to age. You should have to pay less and less by number of years the book has been issued. They cannot charge you for a new book if book is old. At least this is the case for Virginia.
You may want to call school board, and just ask what the policy is on school books that have not been returned or returned and damaged/also ask if receipts are given on returned books/ this part may be helpful if it is school board policy and the school failed to issue a receipt.... If they ask, just tell them you would just like to know... No name is needed for them to give you in general information. Hope this helps :p
Let me know how this turns out for you, loved to hear back. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">