• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Liability to Students for Cancellation of Field Trip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CompMan86

State: Virginia

My public high school planned a trip to Disney World for the marching band for 4/1/03. Due to the Iraqi war, it is very possible that our trip will be cancelled, but it has not been yet.

The travel agency will not refund money to the school at this point (as per the contract they have) but the students never signed anything which states that money is non-refundable if the county cancels the trip. We have signed, however, that the money is non-refundable (no conditions) past 2/15/03.

My question is: we have agreed that the money is non-refundable, but to my understanding, that means that if an individual pulls out of the trip, he won't get a refund. However, we have paid under the premise of receiving a service, and if that service is later denied, I believe that they have an obligation to provide a full refund.

Today, a letter was sent home saying that if we would like to withdraw from the trip now, they would make every effort to refund as much of our money as possible, but if we don’t, there is no guarantee that we will get a refund if the superintendent cancels the trip.

It is my belief that no matter what, the school should be responsible for the money we've paid them whether or not they send out a disclaimer.

Thank you for your time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">