• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2cents

What is the name of your state? MD

hello,

this is my first post :)

about 8 years ago, i enrolled in a correspondence school. the school in question (in Cleveland, OH) advertised through a magazine that they were authorized to provide with tuition assistance through the government (pew, i barely remember the type of loan). it was for an AA degree in electronics. i happily enrolled with the hopes to received some assistance (which i qualified with flying colors). the deal as i understood, was that i would pay a monthly fee (in the amount of $100) till i'd get the student loan. however, 3 months went buy and i never got duck. my economic situation was not that good at the time and i could not afford to keep paying. i stopped my payments and i never got an answer about my student loan. they automatically put my account in collection company. i called the collection company once and i talked to a lady and all she could spout were threads. so i decided to ignore them. as of today, i get once every two months a letter from the collection company saying that if i don't cooperate with them, they are going to advise the school to seek legal advise. is this still possible?

if i am not mistaken, the time limit on the state of MD to file suit is 3 years (where i signed the contract). the time limit in the state of OH i think is 12 years.

i would like to get a sincere opinion/answer from someone that knows a little.

TX

F

failenn216

You are probably right that they can no longer take legal action; and this case would probably have no merit. The statute of limitations for breach of contract (i.e., loans) is usually 6 yrs., but it differs from state to state. Contact your State's Attorney General's office.

The school probably sold the potential "debt" to the collection agency. Send the collection agency a CERTIFIED letter immediately stating stating you dispute this debt, and that the school did not hold up their end of the bargain. Tell them to remove the debt from your credit report within 30 days or YOU will sue THEM! I think it is under the Fair Credit reporting Act, but you check this. You may be able to obtain a form to file a complaint against the collection agency if you have a law school law library near you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">