• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Pictures vs Report Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DTrivette

North Carolina

Here's the background info: Like most schools in this area, an outside company comes in to take the photos of the children. Instead of sending a proof home with the children (under 13 y/o) they send a complete package, valued at $44, and require the parent(s) to either pay or send back the package. If the picture package is not returned or the $44, then the school with-holds the child's report card.

My question, does this constitute a contract? And between what parties?

Silverplum

North Carolina

Here's the background info: Like most schools in this area, an outside company comes in to take the photos of the children. Instead of sending a proof home with the children (under 13 y/o) they send a complete package, valued at $44, and require the parent(s) to either pay or send back the package. If the picture package is not returned or the $44, then the school with-holds the child's report card.

My question, does this constitute a contract? And between what parties?
My question: what's the rest of this story?

swalsh411

I'm not certain the school is under any legal obligation to actually provide a report card. Having said that, it's outrageous they would hold something your tax dollars paid for because of the risky business practice (entrusting small children with packages) the picture company chooses to engage in.

sandyclaus

Let me guess.

The photos were entrusted to the child and something happened to them. The parent or child lost them, or they got damaged, or the dog ate them. Mom & dad refuse to pay for the photos, and junior's report card got withheld. As for the legality of withholding the report card for failure to pay, that's iffy. I suppose it could depend on what actually happened to them and why the parents have refused to pay.

I wonder how many parents played the system, claimed they never got these photos, and tried to keep them for free? That right there could be the basis for the report card withholding penalty.

BL

I'm sure without a report card ,you'll know if the child passes for the next grade or not.

LdiJ

Let me guess.

The photos were entrusted to the child and something happened to them. The parent or child lost them, or they got damaged, or the dog ate them. Mom & dad refuse to pay for the photos, and junior's report card got withheld. As for the legality of withholding the report card for failure to pay, that's iffy. I suppose it could depend on what actually happened to them and why the parents have refused to pay.

I wonder how many parents played the system, claimed they never got these photos, and tried to keep them for free? That right there could be the basis for the report card withholding penalty.
While I don't disagree at all that some parents probably try to play the system, I really wonder at the legality of the school acting as an agent for a commercial enterprise by withholding report cards. It personally ticks me off that schools do that because most of the time I don't like the school pictures well enough to purchase the entire package. I might purchase one or two just to have them, but the whole "all or nothing" bit annoys me.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
While I don't disagree at all that some parents probably try to play the system, I really wonder at the legality of the school acting as an agent for a commercial enterprise by withholding report cards. It personally ticks me off that schools do that because most of the time I don't like the school pictures well enough to purchase the entire package. I might purchase one or two just to have them, but the whole "all or nothing" bit annoys me.
That is usually a decision made between the PTO/PTA, the vendor and the school. :cool:

LdiJ

That is usually a decision made between the PTO/PTA, the vendor and the school. :cool:
I was PTA president for my daughter's school for several years and the PTA NEVER had any input regarding school pictures. The contract was district wide and purely between the vendor and the school.

It really doesn't matter...its just a pet peeve of mine. I ran for the school board once (did not win) but one of the things on my agenda if I had was school pictures.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">