• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

screwed by cardealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dica

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I recently purchased a used car ('04 Mini Cooper) from a dealer (Dodge dealership). Shortly after I discovered that the factory installed radio was gummed up with something (drink spilled in it) and took it back in. They replaced with with the same type of radio but a week or so later the speakers started randomly going out, now when you start the car it plays for anywhere from a second to 2mins then cuts out.

I took it back in and they said they couldn't see anything wrong and that I'd have to take it to the Mini dealership to have them diagnose the problem and if it was their fault THEN they'd replace it. The Mini dealership is going to charge me over $100 just to look at it.

Is the Dodge dealership responsible for fixing this or do I have to suck it up and pay the Mini dealership first?

Thanks,
D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You bought an 8 or 9 year old car with a factory stereo. What did you expect?

Dica

Um, I expected some helpful information here?

Other than a couple sticky buttons, the radio worked fine, now that they've replaced it, it doesn't work...seems a clear cut case that it's their fault but they're insisting I take it elsewhere to get inspected first.

Zigner

Other than a couple sticky buttons, the radio worked fine, now that they've replaced it, it doesn't work...seems a clear cut case that it's their fault but they're insisting I take it elsewhere to get inspected first.
Then I suggest you do so.
Or, you could spend that $100 and get an aftermarket stereo that puts that hunk of junk to shame.

Banned_Princess

I think it would be better if you replaced the whole radio system. yourself, or let a professional replace the speakers and deck. this is the most stressless solution. yes it will cost money, bet then you will have a rockin stereo.

it is an old car, and it would be imposable for either dealer to be sure who's fault, if anybodies, the problem is. and anyway, there going to just keep changing parts with other old parts.

definitely, you are on the losing end of endless buck passing.

I don't know why you didn't check out the radio while test driving, if it was that important for you.

Dica

Thanks Banned.

I did mess with the stereo prior to purchase, everything worked except for a few sticky buttons like I mentioned. I thought they were doing me a favor by replacing it for free. I didn't want to spend any money on it is the thing. It's got the Harman Kardon sound system upgrade already in it.

Oh well, thanx for the info, guess I'll be radio shopping soon.

Zigner

Thanks Banned.

I did mess with the stereo prior to purchase, everything worked except for a few sticky buttons like I mentioned. I thought they were doing me a favor by replacing it for free. I didn't want to spend any money on it is the thing. It's got the Harman Kardon sound system upgrade already in it.

Oh well, thanx for the info, guess I'll be radio shopping soon.
Right - so you KNEW there was a problem with the radio. Presumably, you conducted your negotiations with this in mind...

Dica

Yes, I knew there was a problem with it, I drove it for 2wks while I waited for the appointment for them to replace the stereo...during this time, not once did the speakers ever go out.
They replaced the stereo, now the speakers don't work...

Pretty sure it was sold as-is also.
Yes but the replacement likely offers the OP some hope ... sounds like a heat related issue, like a wire is barely making contact somewhere.

Once the shop replaced it then they are on the hook for the quality of work/parts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">