• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

screwed by dealership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ratliffjw71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My fiance bought a car at a local dealership in November of 2012. Six months ago while looking over the contract with the bank to consider refinancing it the bank officer tells her that the dealership defrauded her. It turns out that she paid all DMV fees and taxes totaling 514 dollars up front at the time of the purchase. She has the canceled check, the dealership receipt, and the notice that the check was deposited by the dealer. On her contract it appears that she just simly walked on the lot, bought the car, and all fees were included in the contract. The sum of all amounts equal the amount financed. Basically she paid the fees up front and the dealership fleeced them into the paperwork and made that much more money......the documentation is clear and not negotiable. They accepted payment for the fees from her AND from the bank......what can she do....she tried talking to them about it and they cursed her and told her to get lost. In February she mailed them certified mail containing copies of everything. Nothing in response.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My fiance bought a car at a local dealership in November of 2012. Six months ago while looking over the contract with the bank to consider refinancing it the bank officer tells her that the dealership defrauded her. It turns out that she paid all DMV fees and taxes totaling 514 dollars up front at the time of the purchase. She has the canceled check, the dealership receipt, and the notice that the check was deposited by the dealer. On her contract it appears that she just simly walked on the lot, bought the car, and all fees were included in the contract. The sum of all amounts equal the amount financed. Basically she paid the fees up front and the dealership fleeced them into the paperwork and made that much more money......the documentation is clear and not negotiable. They accepted payment for the fees from her AND from the bank......what can she do....she tried talking to them about it and they cursed her and told her to get lost. In February she mailed them certified mail containing copies of everything. Nothing in response.
She should sue the bad guys in small claims court.

ShyCat

It turns out that she paid all DMV fees and taxes totaling 514 dollars up front at the time of the purchase.
Isn't this the usual procedure? I know the sales tax and title/registration transfer fees were always paid to the dealer when I've bought cars, even when not financed.

Was she expecting to go to the DMV and pay those fees and taxes directly? If so, did she?

Zigner

Should she add the amount of any expense incurred to the total?
She will be entitled to whatever it costs to file the case (assuming she wins.)

On a side note: Fiance is a guy. Fiancee is a gal. (Please forgive my lack of accent marks, I can never figure them out on the keyboard)

Zigner

Isn't this the usual procedure? I know the sales tax and title/registration transfer fees were always paid to the dealer when I've bought cars, even when not financed.

Was she expecting to go to the DMV and pay those fees and taxes directly? If so, did she?
I believe the OP is saying that is fiancee paid the fees in full by check. However, the fees were also included in the amount financed, meaning that the bank paid the fees too.

ratliffjw71

true

That is true ....she paid it to the dealer....wrote it out to the Dealer.with sales tax noted on the check...the dealer accepted the check and cashed it**************AND added those same fees to the contract

BL

That is true ....she paid it to the dealer....wrote it out to the Dealer.with sales tax noted on the check...the dealer accepted the check and cashed it**************AND added those same fees to the contract
It appears the Dealer also defrauded the bank , but what do I know?

What does the Bank's legal personnel say about it?

Get verification from the bank if you can , write a demand letter ( keep copy )for a refund of the amounts ( not sure what you mean by incurred fees ) to the Dealer one reg. mail and one RRR -Certified mail - include copies of payment by check and copy of verification from the bank those fees were added to the loan ( if you can ).

If the dealer pics up the Certified letter keep the receipt with the letter copy .

If the dealer does not pic up the certified letter and it comes back to you - keep it unopened for court ?

If they refuse refund , take it to small claims .

Seems like if they are reputable at all they wouldn't want negative history.

quincy

On a side note: Fiance is a guy. Fiancee is a gal. (Please forgive my lack of accent marks, I can never figure them out on the keyboard)
Small "e" with grave = Alt + 0232 = è
Small "e" with acute = Alt + 0233 = é

:)

BL

Just looked this up as I have never known how to accent either.

I'll have to learn how. :eek:

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

Zigner

Just looked this up as I have never known how to accent either.

I'll have to learn how. :eek:

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html
It doesn't work that way for Macs...I do have a "character viewer" which will let do the accent marks, but I'm lazy.

FlyingRon

Accents are done with the option key on the max. The Acute accent (which is the one you want here) is Option-E preceding the letter you want to put it on.

F I A N C OPTION-E E E = FIANCÉE

Zigner

Ok, I need to admit what I hinted at earlier. It's not that I don't know how...I'm just too lazy.

ratliffjw71

She had filed a complaint with the better business bureau and obviously they contacted the dealership because today they called and wanted her address to send her a "bill" for warranty work that was done over 15 months ago. They have her address from all the correspondence already and obviously want to intimidate her. She sent all copies of everything with a demand letter to them certified mail and it was received February 2nd and nothing until now. Can someone manufacture a "bill" from over a year ago to try to negate this???
And now she has to pay interest on that amount for 60 months after paying it already when she bought the car.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">