• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Season ticket purchase issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gerginator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

As you may or may not be aware, the NHL is currently in a lock-out, with seemingly no end in sight. I purchased a half-season ticket package for an NHL team through a supporters group, who has a large quantity of seats together. Essentially, the group buys approximately 30 season tickets, and then sells those off to individuals in the group in full, half, quarter and individual game season tickets, so the actual season tickets are not in my name, but the groups.

In light of the lock-out, I was asked wether or not I would like my money refunded to me, or if I would like to keep my money in the group, and receive a 4% credit towards next season (which is offered through the team). I immediately requested my money back. The following day it was brought to my attention that since all of the tickets are in "one" name (the group's), the entire group got to vote collectively what to do with the money, and they "voted" to keep the money with the team.

The (probably) unfortunate part of this story is that I really didn't sign any sort of contract, other than them telling me (verbally) that I would pay x dollars each month and receive x games, and I signed the tablet that I swiped my credit card on for paypal (all of the payments since the first one have been billed and sent through Paypal).

What legal standing do I have to demand my money back if the games all get cancelled? Would trying to get a refund through PayPal be an option?

Thanks in advance!

OHRoadwarrior

As you have nothing in writing and you accepted whatever terms they dictate to you, it appears you are out of luck. You can attempt to dispute through Paypal and I would encourage you to do so. The problem is beyond their control. If you do not value your Paypal account, you could always dispute via your CC if you used one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">