• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self renewing contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiyaya

What is the name of your state? VT

I am in a contract to lease booth space with a craft store. I see on the contract that she has stated that the lease ends on a certain day. Then she states below that statement that the lease self renews on a month to month basis after the period above ends if I don't give her a 30 day written notice. Wouldn't the ending date be the actual date? Isn't she supposed to send a notification prior to the renewal process?

Some Random Guy

This is standard stuff.

Self renewing contracts are a way for the landlord to collect their rent if you as the lessee don't live up to your obligations to A) renew the lease or B) give proper notice of your ending the contract.

Nothing out of th eordinary here.

drago

"What is the name of your state? VT

I am in a contract to lease booth space with a craft store. I see on the contract that she has stated that the lease ends on a certain day. Then she states below that statement that the lease self renews on a month to month basis after the period above ends if I don't give her a 30 day written notice. Wouldn't the ending date be the actual date? Isn't she supposed to send a notification prior to the renewal process?"

A* You have your written notice and agreed to it when you signed the contract. Simply provide the 30 day written notice and you're done. If you waited too long it's on you. I'm sure you expected her to live up to her contract responsibilities and she has the right to expect the same from you.

tiyaya

Aren't they required by law to send a renewal notice if the lease is for a year. I know a bunch of businesses with such clauses in their contracts were charged with fraudulent or deceptive practices when trying to enforce it without sending notice. What about Vermont law?

w98

It's not fraudulent at all - you have signed an agreement saying that you will begin to pay a month-to-month rate (and landlords will usually increase the rent on month-to-month rentals, so another lease would be in your best interest) when the lease periods ends.

This is very commonplace, and there's nothing deceptive about it. Sure, a friendly reminder might have been nice, but you've got it in writing already.

drago

tiyaya said:
Aren't they required by law to send a renewal notice if the lease is for a year.
A* I highly doubt it and I'm not going to do any research on it because you already have your answer on how to end the lease in question.

However just for fun let's assume you're right. Which would be easier?

A) Write the letter and be done with it.

B) Take her to court to enforce a (so far) imagined right.

It's already been 2 days since your original post. Plenty of time to have written the notice and to have delivered it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">