• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self storage of someone else's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dixiechick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. I rented a self storage unit as favor to a friend who had been evicted from her apt. Was to be for a few weeks until she found another place. It has turned into 4 mos. She has since gone to a drug rehab and then halfway house. Her grandmother has helped pay for storage that is in my name. I have asked her grandmother to sign into her name or move contents as I have nothing in the storage unit and no need for a storage unit. I have also sent grandmother and the girl both certified letters that if it isn't signed into grandmother's name, someone else's name, or contents picked up before Dec 30, I will have charity pick it up. I want to make sure there are no legal ramifications. What other options do I have? I've offered to help move the stuff. Can I take the stuff over to the grandmother's drive and leave it? That is the last known address for the friend, and the grandmother is also the guardian (although this person is 21). I do not want to be responsible or have to worry about this stuff anymore - I want to be rid of it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. I rented a self storage unit as favor to a friend who had been evicted from her apt. Was to be for a few weeks until she found another place. It has turned into 4 mos. She has since gone to a drug rehab and then halfway house. Her grandmother has helped pay for storage that is in my name. I have asked her grandmother to sign into her name or move contents as I have nothing in the storage unit and no need for a storage unit. I have also sent grandmother and the girl both certified letters that if it isn't signed into grandmother's name, someone else's name, or contents picked up before Dec 30, I will have charity pick it up. I want to make sure there are no legal ramifications. What other options do I have? I've offered to help move the stuff. Can I take the stuff over to the grandmother's drive and leave it? That is the last known address for the friend, and the grandmother is also the guardian (although this person is 21). I do not want to be responsible or have to worry about this stuff anymore - I want to be rid of it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I can tell you that Grandmother has NOTHING to do with this. This is between you and the "friend".

As for the question of the abandoned property, you would be wise to at least seek a consult with an attorney. Half an hour would only be $75-$150 and it would save you TONS of trouble down the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">