• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller refuses to refund paid amount for installment purchase that was cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pfish

I'm in California. I purchased tickets from an online seller via an initial down payment and monthly installments. The sellers terms indicated that if the automatic monthly installments could not be charged to my credit card, I would forfeit the tickets as well as all previous payments. Unfortunately there was an issue with my credit card that prevented payment (number was stolen so I had to request a new card) and the failed payment notifications from the ticket seller were placed in the "Promotions" email category in my Gmail account (which I typically don't check). Obviously my mistake for not updating my credit card info after it was replaced, but does anyone believe I have any recourse to recoup some/all of the funds I previously paid? It seems that it can't be right that a retailer is allowed to both recoup the product/service and hold on to paid money from a consumer.

Thanks for any help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in California. I purchased tickets from an online seller via an initial down payment and monthly installments. The sellers terms indicated that if the automatic monthly installments could not be charged to my credit card, I would forfeit the tickets as well as all previous payments. Unfortunately there was an issue with my credit card that prevented payment (number was stolen so I had to request a new card) and the failed payment notifications from the ticket seller were placed in the "Promotions" email category in my Gmail account (which I typically don't check). Obviously my mistake for not updating my credit card info after it was replaced, but does anyone believe I have any recourse to recoup some/all of the funds I previously paid? It seems that it can't be right that a retailer is allowed to both recoup the product/service and hold on to paid money from a consumer.

Thanks for any help!
Why wouldn't you be bound by the contract?

pfish

Why wouldn't you be bound by the contract?
I am in fact bound by the contract. I suppose I'm asking if anyone has expertise to determine if those contractual terms are valid/acceptable in the first place. The terms indicate "If your current payment can not be processed, your order will be cancelled and all previous payments made prior to cancellation will be FORFEITED to offset your default." I would imagine there may be existing civil laws that require a merchant to refund some amount of these funds and/or cap the amount of penalty a merchant can charge to "offset default".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in fact bound by the contract. I suppose I'm asking if anyone has expertise to determine if those contractual terms are valid/acceptable in the first place. The terms indicate "If your current payment can not be processed, your order will be cancelled and all previous payments made prior to cancellation will be FORFEITED to offset your default." I would imagine there may be existing civil laws that require a merchant to refund some amount of these funds and/or cap the amount of penalty a merchant can charge to "offset default".
Again, you AGREED to the provision in the contract. The provision is not illegal.

single317dad

Thanks for any help!
See CA Civil Code Sec. 1749, regarding layaway agreements. There's no mention of refunds because the consumer refused or was unable to pay as per the agreement.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1749-1749.4

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1749-1749.4

I agree the amount charged for cancellation is excessive. That you had one payment declined is a poor reason for losing all your previous payments. The lesson here is to avoid signing unfair contracts in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">