• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller won't release clear title.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

navdoc

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I recently purchased a 1953 DeSoto from a party and was given a signed title (signed but unprocessed) with an unsigned but paid lein. When I went to process the title I was unable to due to the owner prior to the seller's(seller #1) failure to process/pay the taxes on his sale to the person I bought it from (seller #2). The person I bought it from did not have the car long enough to process the title himself.

I contacted seller #1 who's name is on the title/lein and came to the verbal agreement that he would process the title and return it to me. I sent the title to him along with a typed version of our verbal agreement that would take effect on his acceptance of the letter.
Delivery was confirmed to that address the first week of January. After a phone conversation immediatly after delivery he confirmed that he had indeed recieved the title. He also stated that due to business travel he would not be able to process the title at the MVA untill early February. This was not a concern of mine as the car was stored over the winter. The end of Feb. I called him and he said that he was waiting on the new title to be sent to him from the MVA.
Since mid March I have left several messages at his house either on his voice mail, with what I think was his wife and his children. None of these phone calls have been returned.
I have a bill of sale from seller #2 and I am going to contact him to see if he has a bill of sale from seller #1 so I can prove the chain of ownership.
I have possesion of the car and I believe it could possibly be concidered abandoned on my property. I don't know if that would be of use as the MVA website is rather vague and the people there unhelpful.
I want to keep this car and would like a clear title but what is stopping seller #1 from comming and taking it??
Help!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">