• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sellers issues bill of sale to person other than the actual buyer/check issuer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncvolkswagen

Utah

I had a verbal agreement to purchase a used car from a private party for $5,000. I sent someone to deliver the check and pick up the vehicle. The seller accepted my personal check but filled out the buyer section on the title with the other person's name and issued them a bill of sale. This person has now ran off with the car and the title. Local law enforcement has not been any help. The seller has already cashed the check and has refused to get a duplicate title because he claims that he's afraid that that guy who stole the car will take him to court. What can I do at this point?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Utah

I had a verbal agreement to purchase a used car from a private party for $5,000. I sent someone to deliver the check and pick up the vehicle. The seller accepted my personal check but filled out the buyer section on the title with the other person's name and issued them a bill of sale. This person has now ran off with the car and the title. Local law enforcement has not been any help. The seller has already cashed the check and has refused to get a duplicate title because he claims that he's afraid that that guy who stole the car will take him to court. What can I do at this point?
For all intents and purposes, the agent didn't steal your car. He stole your money, and used it to buy a car in his own name. The police aren't likely to get involved here, because the car legally belongs to the agent since the seller was convinced to sign the title over in their name.

Your issue is not with the seller, it is with the person who ran off with your money and the car it was intended for. Did you even know this person before you hired the agent to do this job for you? Do you know if the seller and the agent happened to know each other personally prior to this arrangement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">